Delayed NHS treatments are to restart in Scotland, the first of Scottish pupils will be back at their desks in two weeks and Nicola Sturgeon has said that England are ‘under reporting’ care home deaths.
The Scottish death toll by the Government statistics is at 2,362, with 15,400 people testing positive across the country.
Coronavirus in Scotland LIVE: Latest updates on COVID-19 in Scotland
- Delayed NHS treatment to restart in Scotland
- Nicola Sturgeon has said that England are ’under reporting’ care home deaths
- First Scottish pupils will be back at their desks in two weeks
Cancer treatments, mental health services and paediatrics are to be prioritised under a blueprint unveiled by ministers for restarting NHS treatments delayed by the coronavirus outbreak.
A move to talk to one million people about what Britain will be like in the aftermath of coronavirus is being launched.
Think tank Demos is a backer of the People's Commission on life after Covid-19.
Demos says it wants to use technology to involve one million people from all walks of life to discuss how society will be after the Covid-19 outbreak.
The commission will include figures from across the political spectrum including Tory former Cabinet minister Baroness Nicky Morgan.
Polly Mackenzie, chief executive at Demos and convener of the commission, said: "Britain will change dramatically after Covid-19, but it shouldn't just be for politicians to decide what that change looks like.
"The whole country needs to get involved in making these choices about how we repair our country, and what we build back.
"The debate must be open, friendly and involve people on a massive, unprecedented scale."
Financial pundit Martin Lewis said: "Life has changed forever.
"Not just the way we work, support each other, travel, shop and spend, but also the roles people play in society.
"This is a moment to decide how we want to rebuild things, by design, not chance.
"A national conversation is needed, to see how lives have changed and how everyone feels about it, that's why I'm delighted to be involved in the Demos commission, to try to work to ensure all voices are heard, and amplified, to hope for the betterment of society for all."
Baroness Morgan said: "It is clear we aren't going to be returning to life as we knew it at the end of February and that we've all been changed by the Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown, so it will be really fascinating to be part of the Demos Commission and hear what people really think the future looks like."
More than two million people who have remained at home for the past 10 weeks due to the coronavirus risk will be able to venture out for the first time from Monday in England only, after guidance to those shielding was updated.
Charities have called for the scientific evidence behind the new Government advice to be set out, saying the timing has created some confusion among a group who, since March, have been repeatedly advised not to go out.
The change was announced late on Saturday and the guidance published late on Sunday, and came in the wake of criticism that the 2.2 million people shielding in England had been forgotten amid the easing of the overall lockdown.
The change in advice sees those considered extremely vulnerable, who were sent letters and advised to stay indoors for three months, now told they can go outside with members of their household while continuing to follow social distancing guidelines.
Those who live alone can meet outside with one other person from another household, ideally the same person each time, also adhering to social distancing guidelines.
The extremely vulnerable category includes organ transplant recipients, people with specific cancers and people on immunosuppression therapies, as well as a number of other groups.
The Government website said the update has been made "taking into account that Covid-19 disease levels are substantially lower now than when shielding was first introduced" and restated that the guidance is "advisory".
Advice to the clinically extremely vulnerable will be reviewed as part of each review of social distancing measures for the wider population, the Government has said.
The SNP has pressed for a Cabinet Office inquiry into Dominic Cummings’ breach of lockdown rules, saying that the Prime Minister’s senior adviser must not be “completely unaccountable” for his rule-breaking.
In a letter to the Cabinet Secretary ahead of the Parliament returning tomorrow, SNP Westminster leader Ian Blackford has said the confirmation by Durham Police that there was a breach of the regulations – added to Mr Cummings’ admitted wider breaches of the UK government guidance – meant there was a clear need for an inquiry.
The letter comes as deputy chief medical officer Jenny Harries was asked at yesterday’s UK Government briefing whether she agreed with comments made by another deputy CMO, Professor Jonathan Van Tam, who had said the rules “should apply to all”.
Ms Harries said: “Absolutely. As a matter of personal and professional integrity, I will always try to follow the rules... they are all rules for all of us.”
A Cabinet minister has insisted the lockdown is being eased in a "very cautious" way as children in England begin returning to school, despite public health officials warning against the relaxation.
Business Secretary Alok Sharma said he understands parents' concerns over sending their children back to class on Monday, but added that the Government had not undertaken a "dash" to re-start the economy.
The Association of Directors of Public Health (ADPH) warned that experts were "increasingly concerned" that ministers are making the wrong judgment by easing restrictions too quickly.
Parents seemingly share their concerns, with a survey suggesting 46% of families were expected to keep pupils at home as classes open to children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 in England.
Mr Sharma told BBC Breakfast: "This is not a dash. These are very cautious steps that we are taking. They are phased."
Coronation Street will resume filming next week, soap bosses have confirmed - but without kissing scenes or older cast members.
Filming will start again at the show's studios in Trafford, Greater Manchester, on June 9, with cast and crew having their temperatures checked on a daily basis.
Coronation Street actor Andrew Whyment, who plays Kirk Sutherland, said "there definitely will be no kissing scenes".
Cast "who are over the age of 70 or have an underlying health condition won't be on set in the initial period of filming", the broadcaster has said.
ITV director of television Kevin Lygo previously said that soaps could return to screens with older cast members absent.
Those who fall into a clinically vulnerable category will "follow an individual risk assessment process, which will enable them to return to work if it is safe for them to do so".
Older cast members include William Roache (Ken Barlow), Barbara Knox (Rita Tanner) and Maureen Lipman (Evelyn Plummer).
The number of episodes to air will continue to be fewer than before the pandemic, at three a week initially.
Series producer Iain MacLeod said that humour - a fixture of the long-running soap - will be intact.
"The whole team at Coronation Street has pulled together to generate an ingenious, intricate set of protocols to allow filming to restart as safely as humanly possible," he said.
Consumers should be given tax cuts or direct cash payments from government to stimulate Scotland's recovery, retailers have suggested.
The Scottish Retail Consortium (SRC) says "radical" action is needed to get the economy back on track after the coronavirus crisis.
The trade body says shops will face "the toughest trading conditions this century" when the lockdown eases.
In an eight-page submission to the Scottish Government's advisory group on the economic recovery, a number of short-term stimulus measures were suggested to boost consumer spending.
Retail companies employ 240,000 people and contribute £25 billion to the economy, according to the SRC.
The paper makes a number of suggestions, including:
- Targeted income tax or land and business transactions tax cuts to support ordinary workers.
- A short life scrappage scheme to replace inefficient household items with modern, environmentally-friendly models.
- Direct cash payments to less affluent consumers.
- Encouraging consumers to return to town centres through committing local authorities to abolish town centre parking charges.
Nearly a third of doctors in Northern Ireland believe stress levels have increased due to the coronavirus pandemic, the BMA said.
They felt they were suffering from depression, anxiety, stress, burnout or emotional distress relating to work, a survey for the representative organisation added.
Members also reported feeling a greater sense of team working and less burdensome bureaucracy.
About a third (32%) also reported they had accessed wellbeing support services from either their employer or a third party.
Dr Tom Black, chair of BMA's Northern Ireland Council, said: "The commitment shown by doctors over the last few months cannot be underestimated.
"As well as dealing with a rapidly changing work environment, and a completely new disease where there was limited clinical information available, they were along with everyone else dealing with home-schooling, family, parents and the general shock at living through a global pandemic."
Just over 33% of those surveyed also said they had to find alternative childcare during this time and Dr Black said that added considerably to many doctors' stress levels.
He added: "Worryingly, a small number also said they were unable to work or had to reduce their hours due to childcare concerns.
"We would be keen to see appropriate provision made for the summer where access to normal summer camps may not be available."
There is no evidence that food poses a risk to public health through transmission of coronavirus, an expert in Northern Ireland said.
The main mode of transmission is considered to be from person to person via respiratory droplets from infected people via sneezes, coughs or generated through exhaling, the Department of Agriculture said.
Food technologist Russell Ramage said safety remained paramount and stringent personal hygiene measures were in place at factories.
He added: "Despite the large scale of the pandemic, the latest scientific literature, including that from the Food Standards Agency and the European Commission Directorate-General for Health and Food Safety, note that, to date, there have been no reports of the transmission of Covid-19 via the consumption of food.
"There is no evidence that food poses a risk to public health in relation to Covid-19."
Local producers have been keeping supermarket shelves stocked during the pandemic.
Mr Ramage said: "The agri-food industry in Northern Ireland continues to take measures to avoid contamination of the food they produce and distribute.
"The strict hygiene and food safety rules that already govern the production of food by our local producers are designed to avoid contamination of the food by harmful pathogenic bacteria."
He said extra training for staff has focused on the increased importance of food safety.
"Particularly relevant are the already existing thorough procedures for cleaning and disinfection of food production facilities along with stringent personal hygiene procedures that cover hand washing, the use of gloves and masks, dedicated hygienic clothes and, where possible, working from home," he said.
"There is every reason to believe they are as effective on Covid-19 as on the other microbiological risks in the food production chain."