What to do if you are involved in a car accident

IF YOU are involved in an accident:

Stop and move to safety by the side of the road. Check everyone for injuries. Call for an ambulance if needed. Report the accident to the police if there is any debris in the road or if anyone is injured.

Exchange details. The important one is registrations of all vehicles. Also note full names, phone numbers, addresses and the time of the accident.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

If possible, obtain details of the insurer of other drivers. You can also check at www.askMID.com

Ask witnesses and police officers present for their details.

Use a camera to record damage at the scene.

Tell your insurance provider. If you don't then your policy could be invalid. Even if you don't want to make a claim on your insurance, you still need to notify your provider.

For accidents with uninsured drivers: Collect all the same information. Claims for accidents involving uninsured drivers are usually handled through the Motor Insurers' Bureau.

If the other driver leaves the scene:

Report it immediately to the police. Anyone who leaves the scene of accident without exchanging details is committing an offence and will be prosecuted.

Collect as much information from the scene and witnesses as you can.

Claims involving untraced drivers are usually handled through the MIB.

Source - Motor Insurance Bureau