Fire chief issues cost of living house blaze and deadly gas threat warning

Fire chiefs have warned Scots could put themselves at risk using alternative methods to heat homes amid the rising cost of living.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) warned householders may be at risk of sparking a blaze or being overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning as they try to keep warm.

Officers have given their backing to the National Fire Chiefs Council’s Stay Fire Safe campaign, which aims to provide advice on hazards associated with portable heaters, electric blankets, wood-burning stoves and candles.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Deputy Assistant Chief Officer Alastair Perry, head of prevention and protection at SFRS, said fuel poverty and the rising cost of living are real concerns for the service.

House fires can have devastating consequencesHouse fires can have devastating consequences
House fires can have devastating consequences

He said: “We anticipate seeing a change in behaviours at home as people try to cope with rising costs.

“We want to ensure that people are aware of potential dangers and keep themselves and their loved ones safe at home.

“People could inadvertently be putting themselves at risk from fire and the deadly effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Mr Perry warned people not to use camping stoves or barbecues indoors and use the correct fuels for woodburning stoves and open fires.

He added: “Be aware of potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning if using old or unfamiliar heaters.

“We also remind people of our Make the Call campaign and to look out for others. If you know someone who is over 50 and smokes, and who has either mobility issues or used medical oxygen or lives alone, please arrange a home fire safety visit on their behalf.”



Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.