Scottish Flashback: Waterloo Place and the GPO
Taken on 14 November 1943, this image illustrates a point in time where horses and carts were still used and trams still ran, despite the introduction of buses.
There are also several private cars and a cyclist battling for room amongst the other vehicles.
Motor buses had been on the streets of Edinburgh for just over 20 years at the time the photo was taken, with the last tram making its final journey in 1956.
The General Post Office in the background opened in 1866, being extended between 1891 and 1892, and again between 1907 and 1910.
It finally closed its doors in October 1995. The building was revamped at a cost of £43 million in the mid 2000s, and turned into high-tech offices with a roof garden.