WHAT IS IT?
This Georgian house was built for the Erskine-Kennedy (nee Erskine) family. Originally constructed for David Erskine - a Scottish Court of Session judge - the house also features its own parkland, Victorian walled garden and elaborately-decorated plasterwork.
WHERE IS IT?
The House of Dun is just three miles west of nearby Montrose. Strathtay Buses can take visitors to the residence and drivers can use the A935 passing Brechin to get there.
WHEN WAS IT BUILT?
Completed in 1743, the house was finally given up by the Erskine-Kennedy family in 1980. It’s now a National Trust for Scotland property and is open for tours during the spring, summer and autumn.
The garden and estate are open daily all year round, though those who wish to book tours for special occasions such as weddings or birthdays are encouraged to contact House of Dun directly.
WHO DESIGNED IT?
Scottish architect William Adam is responsible for the House of Dun’s design, with this work largely seen as his finest medium-sized country house design. While work began on the Joseph Enzer-designed plasterwork began in 1730, it was not completed until 1743.
IS IT A TOURIST ATTRACTION?
Tours lasting a little over one hour are offered by the National Trust for Scotland. To the east of the house is a Victorian walled garden which contains a selection of plants that would’ve originally been grown on the site in the 1880s.
The House of Dun also hosts the Hutchison and Stirling collections of paintings from the National Trust, featuring work from Scottish Colourists and oddball items of furniture from the home’s past life.