Lionel Richie confirmed for Glastonbury
The former Commodores star, whose hits include All Night Long and Hello, is the first artist confirmed for the 2015 music extravaganza.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTSMAN
• Subscribe to our daily newsletter (requires registration) and get the latest news, sport and business headlines delivered to your inbox every morning
It will be his debut UK festival appearance and he will play in the Sunday teatime slot on the Pyramid Stage, according to the festival’s website.
Emily Eavis, the daughter of Glastonbury founder Michael Eavis and co-organiser of the festival, said: “We are over the moon. We’ve had some amazing performances in the Sunday teatime slot over the years, from Neil Diamond, Shirley Bassey, Paul Simon and many others.
“And, of course, Dolly Parton played an incredible set this year. So we felt very lucky to get the call from a true Motown legend asking to play next year.
“He’s got so many amazing songs, to see him perform here on the farm is just going to be wonderful.”
The festival’s official Twitter account posted: “We’re pleased to announce that @LionelRichie will make his first ever UK festival appearance at Glastonbury 2015!”
Tickets for next year’s festival sold out in record time.
Tens of thousands of music fans were left disappointed after the £225 tickets were snapped up in just 26 minutes.
The 150,000 tickets were bought up even before the full festival line-up has been announced.
Richie said: “I’m really excited to play Glastonbury next year as it’s one of the most iconic festivals in the world.
“It has a phenomenal history and the alumni of artists who have previously played is incredible so I’m honoured to be joining that club.
“It will be a really special moment for me and I can’t wait to share it with everyone. I can now say ‘Yes, I’m playing Glastonbury’.”
SCOTSMAN TABLET AND IPHONE APPS