Danny Boyle quits as director of next James Bond film
It was confirmed in May that the Trainspotting and Slumdog Millionaire filmmaker was due to direct the 25th Bond film.
When Boyle’s involvement was announced, EON Productions said production on the new film would begin in December at Pinewood Studios, Buckinghamshire.
But the latest statement on the official James Bond site said: “Michael G Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25.”
Boyle, who won an Oscar for his work on Slumdog Millionaire, was due to direct from an original screenplay by John Hodge, who also worked on Trainspotting.
No replacement for Boyle - who was also artistic director for the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics - has been announced.
The as-yet-untitled film - due for release in the UK on October 25 next year - will be Craig’s fifth outing as 007.
The film is expected to be Craig’s last time playing the spy, having previously starred in Casino Royale, Quantum Of Solace, Skyfall and Spectre.
He previously stated that he would rather “slash my wrists” than return to the role, but later said that he made the remarks two days after he finished shooting Spectre and was exhausted.