CELTIC could snap up Irish striker Kevin Doyle for £1.5m, Walter Smith on the verge of quitting Rangers and Pat Fenlon says he can take the heat after another home defeat.
Doyle available for £1.5m, say Wolves
Wolves boss Kenny Jackett has given Celtic the green light to sign want-away striker Kevin Doyle, with the Irish striker believed to be available for around £1.5 million. Doyle, who is one of the Midlands club’s top earmers, has no interest in playing in League One and is keen for a move, with Celtic - who have been keeping tabs on the hitman since January - believed to have made a fresh approach last week.
Jackett said: “Kevin’s wages are too high for League One. It’s common knowledge and there will be interest in him before the end of the transfer window.
“He is in a situation where I haven’t been planning with him because the expectation is that I was thinking he would go.”
Doyle’s £1.5 million price tag could drop even further as the Molineux side look to cash in on the forward, and with Celtic keen to supplement their strikeforce, and the £5 million asking price for Heerenveen’s Alfred Finnbogason likely to be too high, Neil Lennon could make a move for the 29-year-old Irishman. (Daily Record)
Meanwhile, Joe Ledley has admitted he is worried at the lack of a contract offer from Celtic. The midfielder has entered the final year of his current deal and wants to stay, and is keen to sort out his future without it impacting on the Parkhead club’s Champions League campaign.
Ledley said: “Hopefully my agent can come up soon to sort everything out and the club offer me a new deal. It’s a very important couple of weeks.”
Walter Smith on the edge of quitting Ibrox
Rangers chairman Walter Smith is reportedly seeking an exit from the Ibrox club following another weekend of boardroom anger following the return of Charles Green as a consultant and the League Cup loss to Forfar a day later.
Smith - who was outvoted by his fellow directors over the decision to bring Green back to the club - has worked tirelessly to keep the Rangers board together since replacing Malcolm Murray at the end of May. But after Green’s comments in a newspaper interview on Saturday morning prompted a scathing response from underfire manager Ally McCoist, the former Ibrox gaffer could be considering his future.
The appointment of Green came barely a day after Glasgow billionaire Jim McColl launched a bid to overthrow Green’s allies on the Ibrox board and replace them with Paul Murray and Frank Blin - believed to have the backing of Smith.
However, should Smith leave, it could leave the door open for Green to engineer a return to the board, which could further undermine McCoist. (Daily Record)
Pat Fenlon: I can take the flak
Hibs boss Pat Fenlon has claimed that he can handle the heat after his team were booed by their fans after they flopped to another tame home defeat. Henri Anier’s 83rd minute strike gave Motherwell all three points at Easter Road as a Hibs side lacking in ideas failed to bounce back from the 7-0 drubbing at the hands of Malmo. Fenlon was without six players, and handed debuts to Michael Nelson, Fraser Mullen and James Collins, but despite a handful of half-chances, the Easter Road side drew a blank.
Fenlon said: “I don’t lnow if the fans booed the team off or if they booed me off. You understand when fans get frustrated. When you lose matches then the supporters aren’t happy.”
The Irishman added that he felt the display had been an improvement on last year’s opener, which saw Hibs go down 3-0 away to Dundee United, but there was concern after winger Alex Harris picked up a bad ankle knock and was taken to hospital.
Hibs face Hearts next week at Tynecastle, with the home side looking to put a dent in their fifteen point penalty, but Fenlon is only too aware of how important a victory is to Hibs.
He added: “It’s three points I’m more interested in, although the supporters will enjoy it if we can go there and win.
“We need to add more in trying to score goals but we will do that over time.” (Various)
Kelvin Wilson keen for Celtic exit
Celtic defender Kelvin Wilson is reportedly seeking to return to Nottingham Forest, with the stopper believed to have told Neil Lennon he wants to leave Parkhead.
Forest have already seen a £1.5 million bid turned down, and Lennon has publicly stated that Wilson is not for sale, but club sources told the Daily Express that Lennon faces a fight on his hands to keep the 27-year-old.
Wilson is thought to be keen on a return to Nottingham to be closer to his family. (Daily Express)
Gary Locke: Hearts need a cutting edge
Hearts manager Gary Locke has pleaded with his young team to work on finding the target, after watching them manage just one shot on target in Sunday’s defeat at St Johnstone.
Ryan Stevenson’s shot inside the opening five minutes was the only effort the Jambos managed on target and Locke is keen that his side make a dent in the 15-point penalty handed down to the club for entering administration.
Locke said: “We know we have to improve in the final third. I’m not going to make excuses but we need to take shots when we create openings.” (Daily Express)