The iconic attraction and the Royal Yacht Britannia - also in the Capital - were the only Scottish landmarks to make the list in the Travellers’ Choice TM awards for Landmarks.
The awards honour top landmarks worldwide based on the reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travellers.
Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for landmarks worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period. Once again, London iss home to the biggest number of winning landmarks in the UK, boasting six of the top ten in the UK, including all of the top three.
This year not only is Big Ben named number one in the UK, the iconic landmark is also named 19th in the world and beats Mexico’s Mayan Ruins – Chichen Itza, Dubai’s Burj Khalifa and the Sydney Opera House.
iverpool’s The Cavern Club, the nightclub which famously kicked off The Beatles career along with other world famous British music artists, is the only landmark to be named among the UK’s top ten landmarks for the first time this year. The club joins the list at ninth place.
Malcolm Roughead, Chief Executive at VisitScotland, said: “We’re delighted that Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Yacht Britannia feature prominently in the Travellers’ Choice awards, reflecting the worldwide appeal of these landmarks and the quality of the visitor experience.
“Scotland’s history and heritage attract millions of visitors from around the world and top attractions in Edinburgh such as these are why the Scottish capital remains a must-visit destination for travellers.”
Across the world, the ancient Inca city of Machu Picchu in Peru is this year named as the world’s best rated landmark, rising up from second place last year.
Located at the meeting point between the Peruvian Andes and the Amazon Basin, Machu Picchu stands 2,430 m above sea-level, in the middle of a tropical mountain forest. Built in the fifteenth century, it was abandoned when the Inca Empire was conquered by the Spaniards in the sixteenth century and it was not until 1911 that the archaeological complex was made known to the outside world.
Top 10 world landmarks
1. Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu, Peru
2. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Centre, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3. Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
4. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City, Italy
5. Taj Mahal, Agra, India
6. Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba, Cordoba, Spain
7. Church of the Savior on Blood, St. Petersburg, Russia
8. The Alhambra, Granada, Spain
9. Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, Washington, United States
10. Milan Cathedral (Duomo), Milan, Italy
Top 10 UK landmarks
1. Big Ben, London
2. Tower of London, London
3. Tower Bridge, London
4. Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh
5. Houses of Parliament, London
6. The Roman Baths, Bath
7. Westminster Abbey, London
8. Royal Yacht Britannia, Edinburgh
9. The Cavern Club, Liverpool
10. Buckingham Palace, London