Tests reveal Prince died of painkiller overdose

Prince died following an overdose of painkillers, according to tests.

Prince died of an accidental overdose. Picture: AP

The 57-year-old was found dead on 21 April at his Minneapolis estate, Paisley Park.

Reports from the United States, which cited a law enforcement official, last night said the singer had died of an opioid overdose. Following his death, it emerged investigators were examining whether an overdose was to blame and whether a doctor had prescribed him drugs in the preceding weeks.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Prince’s death came less than a week after his plane made an emergency stop in Moline, Illinois, for medical treatment as he was returning from an Atlanta concert.

He found unconscious on the plane and he was given a shot of Narcan, an antidote used in suspected opioid overdoses.

The singer had a reputation for clean living. But long-time friend and collaborator Sheila E said Prince had physical issues from performing, citing hip and knee problems that she said came from years of jumping off high platforms and stage speakers in heels.