Over 200 trains called at the station daily before departing to Scottish towns throughout the country including Ayr, Dumfries, Carlisle, Kilmarnock and Stranraer.
The station, which opened in 1876, also operated services to London through a number of partner railway operators.
It closed in 1966 following the renationalisation of the railways with services being diverted to nearby Glasgow Central.
In 1977 the St Enoch Hotel, which fronted the station, was demolished along with the glass and iron roof structure which covered its platforms.
The clock that was once suspended from its roof can now be found in Cumbernauld Town Centre.
The current site is now occupied by shopping mall the St Enoch Centre which opened in 1989.