Defoe mulls over move to Pompey
JERMAIN Defoe was last night pondering a move from Tottenham Hotspur to Portsmouth before the closing of the transfer window after the clubs agreed a fee for the striker.
Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp's move for the England international followed reports top scorer Benjani Mwaruwari was undergoing a medical at Manchester City.
• FORMER Celtic captain Neil Lennon has signed for Paul Lambert's Wycombe Wanderers until the end of the season. The veteran midfielder is expected to make his debut against Accrington Stanley on Saturday after leaving Nottingham Forest.
Manager Lambert said: "This is an absolutely huge signing. Neil is a great player with the personality to match and I can't believe that we've got him."
Derby sign Stubbs for survival fight
• DERBY County have signed Everton defender Alan Stubbs on an 18-month contract. No fee is involved for the 36-year-old former Celtic player.
Derby manager Paul Jewell said: "It's a terrific capture for us. I'm delighted to have him on board and he will add experience and steel to the backline."
• SUNDERLAND have signed Charlton's Republic of Ireland midfielder Andy Reid in a three-and-a-half-year deal which could cost up to 4 million.
• BOLTON manager Gary Megson has boosted his attacking options with the signing of Poland striker Grzegorz Rasiak from Southampton on loan until the end of the season.
• JARI Litmanen and fellow Finn Tony Kallio have joined Fulham. The 36-year-old Litmanen, formerly of Ajax, Barcelona and Liverpool, has signed until the end of the season, while his countryman Kallio has also arrived from Swiss side Young Boys.
Antoine-Curier heads to Dundee
• DUNDEE last night completed the signing of Hibs striker Mickael Antoine-Curier. The 24-year-old has agreed a deal to the summer after being released by Easter Road manager Mixu Paatalainen. Dundee manager Alex Rae is delighted with his capture. "He's a boy I've been watching for a while," he said.
Lapira dips out of move to Aberdeen
• JIMMY Calderwood has confirmed he will not be taking his interest in taking Joseph Lapira to Aberdeen any further. Lapira, an American-born Republic of Ireland international, played in a reserve match against Falkirk this week.
• PETERHEAD have signed Aberdeen youngsters Neil McVittie and Stuart Smith on loan.
Screpis wins Hearts switch
• HEARTS have finally agreed Argentine midfielder Fernando Screpis' move from FBK Kaunas. The 28-year-old, who is predominantly left-footed, has agreed a three-and-a-half-year contract following a trial spell with the club in the summer.
Ipswich duo on way to Falkirk
• IPSWICH youngsters Shane Supple and Billy Clarke have joined Falkirk on loan for the rest of the season.
Goalkeeper Supple, 20, has made 36 appearances for Ipswich but has not featured in the first team this season, while striker Clarke, also 20, has started nine games in the Coca-Cola Championship this season without scoring.
• INVERNESS Caledonian Thistle last night snapped up Clyde striker Doug Imrie for 50,000 but knocked back a bid of similar value from Kilmarnock for unsettled Graham Bayne.
Gretna get keeper
• BIRMINGHAM goalkeeper Artur Krysiak, 18, has joined Gretna on loan until the end of the season as back up to Greg Fleming. Gretna have also allowed midfielder Allan Jenkins to join Morton.
• PARTICK Thistle have signed Slovenian striker Vitelslav Mooc on a short-term deal after the 30-year-old impressed on trial.
• CLYDE manager John Brown has made former Motherwell midfielder Shaun Fagan his fourth signing since taking over at Broadwood.
• QUEEN of the South have signed Celtic defender Craig Reid on an 18-month deal.
• DUNFERMLINE goalkeeper Roddy McKenzie yesterday left the club by mutual consent, while Aaron Labonte and Jamie Harris have both headed for Ireland. Labonte has signed for Finn Harps while Harris has moved to St Patrick's.
• FIRST Division leaders Hamilton last night finally landed Irish under-21 striker Andrew Waterworth in a 20,000 deal.
• BERWICK Rangers and Brechin have completed a swap deal, with Iain Diack – who had already signed a pre-contract agreement with the Glebe Park side – moving early and Stuart Callaghan heading south.
• EAST Fife have snapped up former Hibs and Livingston goalkeeper Craig Wight until the end of the season.