Third division: Historic day as Arbroath take title and first trophy since formation in 1878

Arbroath 4, Montrose 1

IT'S been 133 years but Arbroath finally began their hunt for a trophy cabinet as they clinched the Third Division title yesterday.

The Angus seaside town, more famed for its Smokies than anything else, reeled in the championship after a 4-1 hammering of their local rivals Montrose.

Strikes from Steven Doris, Josh Falkingham, Paul Sheerin and Adam Strachan put Arbroath on the road to glory before a consolation strike from Terry Masson.

And, with news filtering in from Hampden that title rivals Albion had lost to Queen's Park, the champagne was uncorked and the jubilant 2,147 crowd began invading the pitch.

"Legend is such a well-used word but given that this club has never won a league before we will all go down in folklore," said player-boss Sheerin. "It's an amazing day for us all and it hasn't sunk in yet.

We'll have a great night and look forward to the challenge next season."

Goalscorer Doris added: "This is the best feeling of my life. I can't quite take it all in. The club has never won a trophy so to be on the team that does it is special.

"It's the first title I've won and I'm going to savour it. I only really started to believe we were going to do it when we were 3-1 up and I heard a large roar from our fans telling us Queen's Park had scored a second goal in their game.

"After that it was party time. It's a great day for us and an amazing one for our fans."

Doris got the ball rolling for his side on three minutes when he netted from the penalty spot to send the bumper home crowd into a frenzy.

Falkingham then put the hosts two up just before the break as he chipped past Montrose keeper Ramero Gonzalez.

Manager Sheerin put them three goals ahead as he lobbed home from 15 yards and, though Terry Masson pulled a goal back, Strachan was on hand with a late clincher to kick off the party.

Berwick 1, Clyde 1

Berwick were held to a 1-1 draw by a steadily improving Clyde.

Lee Currie had blasted the home side ahead in the 59th minute after good work from Damon Gray.

However, three minutes later John Stewart equalised from the spot.

East Stirling 2, Elgin 1

Stephen Maguire gave the hosts a 27th-minute lead only for Elgin's Jason Crooks to equalise 12 minutes later.

With five minutes left, Shire sealed the points when David Dunn smashed home the winner.

Queen's Park 2, Albion 1

Steven Lawless put the visitors ahead after 15 minutes but Daryll Meggatt headed home on the half hour mark to level.

In the dying seconds, Ian Watt struck on the counter attack to keep Queen's Park's play-off hopes alive.

Stranraer 1, Annan 1

Scott Agnew set up Sean Winter for a crisp Stranraer opener in the seventh minute.

However, Annan salvaged a point in spectacular fashion when Ian Harty dispatched a overhead kick past the despairing David Mitchell.