Andy Murray fights back to defeat Jerzy Janowicz

Andy Murray celebrates a point in his match against Jerzy Janowicz of Poland during day four of of the China Open. Picture: Getty
Andy Murray celebrates a point in his match against Jerzy Janowicz of Poland during day four of of the China Open. Picture: Getty
Share this article
Have your say

ANDY MURRAY fought back from a set down to beat Jerzy Janowicz 6-7 (11/9) 6-4 6-2 and book his place in the second round of the China Open.

Murray, who beat Spain’s Tommy Robredo on Sunday to win the Shenzhen Open – his first tournament victory since winning Wimbledon last year – looked out of sorts in the

opening set before firing back to battle past Janowicz.

After going 5-1 up only for Murray to hit back, the Pole went on to claim the first set on a tie-break.

The second set went Murray’s way thanks to a single break of Janowicz in the ninth game

before the Scot dominated the third to claim victory.

Murray started off in the worst possible fashion as he was broken by Janowicz in the first game of the match before the Pole claimed a 2-0 lead.

Janowicz raced to a 3-0 advantage after he took the first of two break points on the Murray serve.

However, while the Scot broke back immediately he was not able to hold his serve for the third consecutive game and slump to a 4-1 deficit.

Janowicz then moved 5-1 ahead but Murray hit back, claiming four games in a row to draw level at 5-5.

Murray won his first service game of the match to stay in the first set before a break of serve saw him claim back-to-back games.

Murray served out the next before breaking Janowicz, although his momentum stuttered in the next, as he trailed 30-0 on serve before firing back to claim a 6-5 lead – the first time he was ahead in the match.

Janowicz then served to love to take the first set to a tie-break – which was hotly contested with the duo matching each other all the way until the Pole won through 11-9.

That left Murray needing to battle back from a set down for his third match in a row.

The second set went on serve until the ninth game, where the number six seed broke Janowicz to take a 5-4 lead before clinching the set 6-4.

That put the game into a decider and an early break for Murray saw him go 3-1 up,

before another saw him move 5-2 ahead and just one game away from a place in the second round.

Murray then served for the match and claimed a battling victory after two hours and 28 minutes to line up a second-round meeting with American John Isner.

In the Japan Open, top seed Stan Wawrinka suffered a shock exit in the first round, going down 7-5 6-2 to home competitor Tatsuma Ito.

The Swiss world number four began strongly against Ito, but after losing the first set collapsed in the second.

“It is the first time I have beaten a top five player,” said 103-ranked Ito.

“I tried my best on every point, and I was very focused. I was a little nervous, but I stuck to my game, and I finished well.”

Wawrinka was disappointed and defeat means he is not yet assured a place at the ATP Finals in London in November.

He said: “It was not a good day at the office. He started well, and then I was trying to come back in the match. First-round matches are never easy.”

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was the other big name to exit after one game, beaten by qualifier Michal Przysiezny 4-6 7-5 7-6 (11/9) in a match which lasted almost two and a half hours.

Sixth seed Roberto Bautista Agut is also out after retiring in his match against Gilles Simon when 2-1 up in the third set.

Third seed Milos Raonic beat Bernard Tomic 7-6 (7/3) 6-3, Jeremy Chardy reached the

second round after beating

qualifier Rajeev Ram 7-5 5-7 6-4, but Japanese wildcard Go Soeda is out after going down 6-4 6-2 toDonald Young.

Jurgen Melzer advanced after Edouard Roger-Vasselin pulled out injured in the second set, while Benjamin Becker is also through after Jarko Niminen also retired in the second set of their match.


Andy Murray ends drought with Shenzhen Open trophy