Scots drop into Bowl after defeat by Kenya at Sydney Sevens

Hugh Blake of Scotland, left, is tackled by Dylan Sage of South Africa. Picture: Rob Griffith/AP
Hugh Blake of Scotland, left, is tackled by Dylan Sage of South Africa. Picture: Rob Griffith/AP
Have your say

Scotland finished third in their group at the Sydney Sevens yesterday and dropped into the Bowl competition where they were due to meet France.

The Scots beat Russia convincingly but defeats by South Africa and Kenya sealed their fate.

Calum MacRae’s side lost the opener against the Springboks 33-7 and were then pipped 17-14 by Kenya. They beat Russia 40-5, with two tries from James Johnstone and one each from Gav Lowe, Scott Wight, Jamie Farndale and Nick McLennan.

Fiji and South Africa remain the form teams of the World Rugby Sevens Series and both swept unbeaten through the pool stage in Australia.

New Zealand, who won their home leg of the World Series last weekend, and England also topped their pools at the inaugural Sydney tournament, the fourth of eight legs on the world circuit.

New Zealand, world champions in 12 of 16 years the World Series has existed, needed a converted try in stoppage time to draw 17-17 with Australia in their final match, after trailing 17-5 at half-time.

South Africa play Argentina, New Zealand take on the United States, Fiji face Kenya and Australia meet England in the quarter-finals.

England captain Tom Mitchell scored his team’s only second-half try as they edged the United States 17-14 to top Pool D. The USA had started the tournament strongly with a 42-0 win over Wales.

“The USA are a good side and take some beating so pretty pleased with that,” Mitchell said.

Fiji, currently placed second in the World Series rankings, started strongly by beating Pacific rivals Samoa 31-0 and France 49-5 before being fully stretched by Argentina 19-14. Locked 7-7 at half-time, Fiji opened a 19-7 lead before seeing Argentina close the gap with a try by Axel Muller after the final hooter.

Australia opened a 17-5 half-time lead over New Zealand with tries to James Stannard, Ed Jenkins and Lewis Holland before New Zealand raced back, snatching a draw when Augustine Pulu converted Ardie Savea’s try in stoppage time. New Zealand beat South Africa twice in Wellington – in pool play and in the final – with tries after the final hooter and they showed again their ability to play to the final whistle against the Wallabies.