Scotland denied a last-eight spot in Singapore

SCOTLAND were denied a Singapore Sevens quarter-final place after ripping up the form book to defeat Argentina yesterday.

But the Argentines then turned their fortunes around to beat South Africa and edge Scotland out on points difference.

The Scots, beaten 33-14 by opening Pool C opponents South Africa, bounced back to stun Argentina 19-14 with Andy Turnbull and Mark Lee playing starring roles. A 40-7 victory over Hong Kong then strengthened Scottish claims for a last-eight place, but it wasn't to be.

Scotland's hopes were dashed after Argentina beat South Africa 19-17 in their closing pool game, and

Argentina and South Africa both progressed to tomorrow's final stages.

Kenya threw Pool B wide open by pipping highly-rated Samoa 21-19, which effectively eased England's quarter-final passage. England, challenging for top spot in the overall International Rugby Board series, saw off Kenya 26-12 and then brushed aside Korea 47-5.

England, four-times Hong Kong Sevens champions and Commonwealth Games silver medallists in Melbourne last month, were due to face Samoa in their final group match late last night.

England finished top of Pool B by edging out Samoa 14-12, a result that meant surprise package Kenya progressed with Mike Friday's men into the quarter-finals and Samoa crashed out.

On the domestic front, there was a huge turn-up in the quarter-finals of the BT Shield when Perthshire, champions of National League Division 1 and due to play premiership rugby next season, were comprehensively beaten 47-6 by Falkirk, the champions of National League Division 3.

It was all Falkirk as they built up a 33-6 half-time lead. The first two tries fell to former Scotland international Kevin McKenzie.

Scrum half Matt George also bagged a touchdown, as did Alan Wells, Chris Harris and Mark McKenzie - who succeeded with six conversions. All Perthshire had to offer were two penalties from Geraint O'Driscoll.

Falkirk now go north for their semi-final which will be against Ellon, who edged out RHC in a great tie by 21-20.

Ellon had the better of things in the first half with tries from Alex Cadzow and Michael Cox plus a conversion and two penalties by Mark Ryan.

However RHC, who had scored a penalty by Iain Welsh, added a try to end the half with left winger Duncan Sherman scorching over.

Continuing to fight back from the half-time deficit of 18-8, RHC proceeded to take a 20-18 lead with two good tries from Matt Hines and Ross Thomson, with Welsh converting the second.

However, with 30 seconds to go, Ryan lined up a pressure penalty and struck it home to send the men from the north through.

Cup heroes Berwick needed a big win but were consigned to Division 3 of the BT Premiership when they were beaten 43-12 at home by Cartha Queen's Park. Cartha put their cup defeat behind them as they ran in seven tries, Damien Chaney scoring two while the others were scored by Neil Robertson, John McCrossan, Ian Cooke and Gary Grant while Ryan Moffat kicked two conversions and Peter Leslie one.