Rumour Mill: Celtic key man set for exit? | Rangers man to leave in January? | Scott Brown transfer latest

Senior Celtic figure linked with departure, could Rangers winger be heading for the exit next month, and the latest transfer interest in Scott Brown

Celtic forced to deny Congerton exit rumours

Celtic were last night forced to deny claims on social media that recruitment supremo Lee Congerton had departed the club.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Rumours spread thick and fast that the former Sunderland sporting director had left the Hoops.

Celtic were forced to deny claims Brendan Rodgers was losing a key member of his backroom staff. Picture: SNS Group

However, Celtic issued a statement confirming that Congerton had not quit the club. (Various)

Kent to leave Rangers next month?

On-loan winger Ryan Kent could leave Rangers next month, despite signing a season-long loan deal during the summer.

Reports suggest that the Liverpool wideman’s loan spell could be cut short with the Gers eyeing up a move for Kilmarnock winger Jordan Jones.

However, the Ibrox side face competition for the Northern Irishman from Burnley, who could be in a position to offer far more money than the Light Blues. (Bristol Post)

Brown transfer latest as Western Melbourne braced for news

Western Melbourne should find out today whether their A-League application has been accepted - and that could have huge ramifications in their pursuit of Celtic skipper Scott Brown.

Brown has been earmarked as a potential signing for the Australians, with Director of Football Steve Horvat refusing to rule out an approach for the 33-year-old.

If Western Melbourne are given the green light to enter Australia’s top flight, they could have money for a big bid for the former Scotland international. (The Sun)

Levein not expecting movement in January

Hearts manager Craig Levein does not plan to strengthen his squad in January aside from the arrival of Czech striker David Vanecek. Levein sees no need to add new recruits after signing 18 players between May and September this year. Vanecek signed a pre-contract agreement with Hearts in July and officially joins from FK Teplice on January 1. He is expected to be the only incoming player at Tynecastle Park during the forthcoming transfer window.

Levein wants to extend Burnley defender Jimmy Dunne’s loan agreement but said: “When we’ve got everybody fit, I don’t need anybody else. I don’t think I need anyone else in January.” (Evening News)

Hibs linked with Sykes

Glenavon manager Gary Hamilton has revealed that Hibs have been watching the progress of midfielder Mark Sykes. The 21-year-old is likely to leave Mourneview Park in next month’s transfer window, with a clutch of clubs said to be chasing his signature. Port Vale had a bid knocked back last week by the Glens board, although they have come in with a renewed offer, while Blackburn are another team linked with the Northern Ireland Under-21 internationalist. Hamilton said: “Hibernian, Port Vale, Blackburn - I could reel them off. There have been loads of clubs watching.” (Evening News)

Naismith: I could stay at Hearts

Steven Naismith today spoke candidly on his Hearts future and admitted there is a good chance he will stay at Tynecastle Park permanently. The Scotland internationalist cited his strong relationship with the Hearts manager Craig Levein as a lure towards joining the Edinburgh club as a free agent and Naismith is not ruling out a move abroad.

He said: “I’d be raging if the manager didn’t want me to stay. When you’re in your 30s there’s more to think about. But there’s a good chance I’ll stay. I’ve loved every minute of it but I’ll take the time and see where I end up.” (Evening News)