Rugby sevens: Watsonians’ win boosts title hopes

Share this article
Have your say

Watsonians put themselves back in the frame for the Kings of the Sevens title with a second successive win at the Kelso Maxwell Motors Sevens on Saturday, beating Edinburgh Accies in a dramatic final at Poynder Park.

Captain Mike Ker scored the victory points with the final kick of the game and said that his club had its eye on the trophy and the prize-money. “We are the first club to win two tournaments in the current series and are right up there,” he said. “We said at the start of the year that we would go for it and we committed early February to get our fitness up.”

Jack Ferguson collected the Player of the Tournament award for a combination of his defensive and attacking qualities. Tries by Scott McKean, Chris Scott and Ferguson gave Watsonians what looked like a winning lead – 19-0 at half-time – after Ker added two conversions. But Accies fought back with three tries from Alex Blair and one from Euan Bonner to put them on course for their first-ever Kelso success.

But Ramsay Young then scored a dramatic breakaway try for Watsonians, leaving Ker to kick the winning conversion.

The tournament was played in a pool format with Watsonians also winning against Berwick and Hawick, while Accies accounted for two previous Kings winners, Jed-Forest and Selkirk, and Kelso in the semi- finals.

Earlston Sevens

Melrose yesterday won the Earlston Sevens at The Haugh for the fourth time in a row with victory over Watsonians, winners the previous day at the Kelso tournament.

The win put Melrose at the top of the Kings of the Sevens table with 38 points, while Watsonians are in second place on 36.

Callum Anderson – who was voted Player of the Tournament – scored a hat-trick of tries in the final, the others coming from Allan Dodds.

Watsonians finished with six players after referee Ian Rodgerson sent Rory Steele to the sinbin.

The Myresiders’ tries came from Scott McKean, Jack Ferguson and Mike Ker.

“We are delighted with the win as we have worked hard for each other and it puts us very much back in contention for the Kings title,” said Melrose captain Graeme Dodds.

The beaten finalists are tucked in behind the leaders with Gala third and Edinburgh Accies in fourth place with two tournaments left at Selkirk and Jed-Forest.

It took a last-second try from Ker to give Watsonians a narrow win in the first of the semi-finals while Melrose edged out Selkirk, who led 12-0 at one time, in the second match.