Ospreys 32 - 12 Cardiff: Morgan’s boot helps Ospreys to convincing victory

Share this article
Have your say

FLY-HALF Matthew Morgan kicked 18 points as the Ospreys secured a convincing RaboDirect Pro12 derby win over the Blues at the Liberty Stadium in Swansea.

The Ospreys scored three tries through lock James King, full-back Richard Fussell and replacement flanker Morgan Allen for a win which lifted them into fourth place in the table. The Blues only managed two penalties apiece for fly-half Ceri Sweeney and full-back Rhys Patchell.

A good scrummage from the Ospreys earned them a penalty after ten minutes which lively Morgan kicked. The Ospreys continued on the front foot as they scored a converted try only three minutes later.

King went in at the corner after originally winning a line-out, with scrum-half Kahn Fotuali’i and Joe Bearman involved in the build-up.

Morgan kicked a second penalty on 24 minutes but that kick was cancelled out by a Sweeney penalty two minutes later. The Ospreys’ edge in the scrum earned a penalty in the Blues 22 which Morgan kicked to restore a 13-point lead three minutes before half-time. But just before the break and against the run of play Sweeney converted his second penalty.

Only two minutes into the second half the Ospreys secured a second try when Fussell went over following up a neatly weighted kick ahead by wing Ross Jones. The Blues did launch something of a comeback with two Patchell penalties – the second one which came about after Sam Lewis was sin-binned for a professional foul.

But despite going down a man the Ospreys scored next with Morgan slotting a fourth penalty. The Blues found themselves with more territory in the final 15 minutes but could not make it count on the scoreboard and Allen scampered over for the Ospreys’ third try which was converted by Morgan.

In the Aviva Premiership, a drop goal from stand-off Nick Evans eight minutes from time gave Harlequins a narrow 22-19 win over Worcester Warriors at The Stoop. Warriors outscored their hosts by two tries to one, with David Lemi and substitute Errie Claassens crossing, but four penalty goals and a conversion from Evans, plus a first-half try from centre Matt Hopper were enough to give Quins the points.

At Salford, Sale Sharks’ troubled season continued with a 16-27 defeat at the hands of Northampton Saints. They are rooted to the bottom of the table, while Saints lie second, two points behind Harlequins. Jamie Elliott, Soane Tonga’uiha and Tom May crossed for tries for Northampton, while Rob Miller and Tommy Taylor replied in kind for Sale, for whom Nick Macleod kicked two penalties. Stand-off Ryan Lamb converted Northampton’s tries and added a penalty and a drop-goal.