Glasgow Hawks 14-13 Edinburgh Accies: Last-kick win

Phil Leck: 'Hard to take'
Phil Leck: 'Hard to take'
Share this article
Have your say

FRUSTRATED Accies coach Phil Leck admitted he is growing heartily sick of losing to the last kick of the contest.

Scorers: Hawks – Try: Stewart. Pens: Horne (3). Accies - Try: Couper. Con: Glashan. Pens: Glashan (2).

It happened for the third time in four matches as George Horne slotted the stoppage-time penalty clincher for Hawks. Leck grimaced: “Yeah, it hurts. I think it has become a mental thing.

“We have been dominating first halves, only to find ourselves defending in the crucial final ten minutes.

“I couldn’t see why that last penalty went against us. Both front rows stood up in the scrum, in which we had been dominant. It was hard to take.”

Unsurprisingly, home coach Jamie Dempsey had a different take on the situation.

He stated: “If it had been a boxing match, they would have been in danger of being stopped.

“We were over their try line and they gave away four or five penalties on our driven maul – it was as if we were doing our best not to score.”

Accies had surged to the perfect start, setting up a touchdown for Matt Couper with just 60 seconds on the clock.

Alex Glashan slotted the conversion – then added penalties in the seventh and 21st minutes to give the capital troops a 14-point cushion. Horne sparked the Hawks’ recovery with a pinpoint strike before Grant Stewart got their only touchdown. And it was Horne who hogged the limelight in the crucial stages with his second penalty, then repeating it in stoppage time.

Glasgow Hawks: J Gormley; T Steven, B McGroarty, D Milne, P Ramsey; G Horne, P Boyer; S Findlay, C Kerr, G Strain, A Kirkland, J Agnew, T Holmes, F Gillies, A Kirkland. Subs used: G Stewart, B Cullinane, S Leckey.

Edinburgh Accies: R Young; S Pecquer, C Dean, J Marples, M Coupar; A Glashan, R Godsmark; L Launders, M Liness, L Niven, G Campbell, E Stuart, J Winks, J Sole, R Seydak. Subs used: C Black, D Morrison.

Referee: P Allan.