George Watson's see off Edinburgh Academy challenge

George Watson's Coll 12

Edinburgh Academy 5

GEORGE Watson's College last night capped what has been a hugely successful season with a 12-5 victory over their city rivals Edinburgh Academy in the final of the Bell Lawrie Scottish Schools Under-15 Cup.

Watson's were strong up front with a back line full of positive runners that included man-of-the-match Jack Ferguson, a player with a seemingly bright future, and despite a late effort by Edinburgh Academy they were deserved winners.

Watson's coach Iain Brown said: "It was a closely contested game, but our control in the middle part of the match was crucial."

Despite that, it was Academy who created the first real scoring opportunity with a break by their outside centre Ben Brown, but the Watson's defence was equally quick in discharging its duties.

Academy, too, were forced to defend ferociously as Watson's moved the ball wide to left wing Oliver Cutting only for Academy stand-off Fraser Gillies to put in a captain's effort with a decisive covering tackle in the corner.

But Watson's were not to be denied a reward for their pressure. From a penalty-created line-out, Watson's forwards drove to the try line, but the referee adjudged the ball to be held up.

But when stand-off Andrew Chalmers set up a ruck the Myresiders moved the ball to midfield for centre Jack Ferguson to pick a route to the line for the opening try.

The conversion by scrum-half Alexander Harris put his side ahead to give Watson's a 7-0 lead at the end of a half in which they had taken the honours.

A scorching break off the back of a scrum by number 8 Henry Binnian at the beginning of the second half signalled a determination by Academy to close the gap. But it was Watson's who had the first chance for points after the break with a penalty attempt by Harris.

The kick was well struck but faded just to the right of the posts and from the ensuing drop-out Watson's mounted a series of attacks.

A side-stepping run by Ferguson, a similar effort from Chalmers and then support from winger Scott McKean gave number 8 Malcolm Peacock a run to the line for Watson's second try, however this time it went unconverted.

Academy, however, refused to lie down and from a strong period of pressure winger Tom Whittle burst on to a pass close to the line to score his side's first try.

Then in the dying minutes of the match Academy threw everything into attack but despite strong efforts they could not achieve the equalising score, leaving Watson's winners.

Scorers: George Watson's College: Tries: Ferguson, Peacock. Con: Harris. Edinburgh Academy: Try: Whittle.

George Watson's College: S Adam; S McKean, J Ferguson, G Daikin, O Cutting; A Chalmers, A Harris; C Waugh, L Reid, C Scott, M Irvine, D Haavaag, R Gibson, C Macrae, M Peacock (captain). Subs: J Watson, M Miller, KGray, R Craig, G Marr, G Hepburn, S Mullins.

Edinburgh Academy: R Cumming; T Whittle, BBrown, J Munro, D Ragg; F Gillies (captain), N Hunt; LSeydakm, F Hood, W Hendry, F Maltman, N Plevis, ASimpson, A Normand, H Binnian. Subs A Murray, MMcWilliam, M Catonio, A Green, S Spratt, R Campbell, SMurphy.

Referee: A Healy (GHA)