Edinburgh 28 - 17 Ulster: Capital side back on track

Edinburgh's Magnus Bradbury scores his side's third try. Picture: Paul Devlin/SNS/SRU
Edinburgh's Magnus Bradbury scores his side's third try. Picture: Paul Devlin/SNS/SRU
Have your say

Edinburgh got the show back on the road last night with an impressive Guinness Pro12 victory over a late rallying Ulster at BT Murrayfield.

Interim head coach Duncan Hodge’s tenure had got off to a flying start with three wins from four before a calamitous home defeat by Zebre had thrown a stick in the spokes.

Last night saw a welcome return to form as Edinburgh bested a strong Ulster side and registered a three-try victory thanks to tries by Viliame Mata, Damien Hoyland and Magnus Bradbury.

While Hodge, pictured, had been particularly riled by Edinburgh’s last five minutes against Zebre the previous Friday, it was also evidently the case that a sluggish, complacent start had hugely contributed to what unfolded into a chastening defeat.

The message had clearly been received as the home side came out of the traps with gusto and stunned Ulster with ferocious early barrage. Slick interchange of passing, unrelenting positivity and all-round terrific tempo rocked the Irish province back on their heels and, within two minutes, Edinburgh were over the whitewash as blindside Mata finished off a fluent attack.

Jason Tovey converted and seven minutes later they were over for a second, once again after a breathtaking series of zippy phases, with wing Hoyland, released from the Scotland autumn Test squad for the evening, providing the finishing touch out on the right.

Tovey missed the conversion and when Edinburgh were awarded a penalty 45 metres out, it was full-back Blair Kinghorn who stepped up for the long-range kicking duties to have his side 15 points up in as many minutes.

There was a blow for Edinburgh when Tovey had to go off injured, but Scotland stand-off Duncan Weir was waiting in the wings after his prompt recovery from a fractured jaw.

Ulster responded with a penalty from the boot of Ruan Pienaar before Weir knocked over a three-pointer of his own to restore the 15-point lead and then survived a charge-down scare.

The former Glasgow man had time to slot another penalty before his eventful temporary substitution period ended with Tovey’s return to the fray.

That more than useful 21-3 lead came under threat after the break as Ulster came out firing, no doubt with a stinging half-time team talk ringing in their ears, but some solid defending helped to calm the ship.

The impressive Mata departed injured but his replacement Cornell Du Preez sparked the next Edinburgh try with a pick up and go from a scrum which led to contributions by scrum-half Sean Kennedy, Mike Allen – who had come on against his former side as a blood replacement for Tom Brown – and the move was finished off gleefully by Bradbury.

Tovey converted to open up a handsome 28-3 lead but Ulster hit back hard and enjoyed a prolonged period of domination, with Kinghorn forced to scramble in the dead ball area after one chip through by 
Pienaar before another probe by the visiting playmaker seemed to have earned a try back.

Star Kiwi full-back Charles Piutau appeared to have got the touchdown but the TMO wasn’t convinced and Edinburgh escaped.

Ulster did get over, to the delight of a large away support, when substitute scrum-half Paul Marshall’s teasing chip evaded Tovey and fellow substitute Aaron Cairns got the touch, with Pienaar, who had switched to stand-off, 

The jitters deepened when Jacob Stockdale burst through for another and the conversion cut the gap to 11. Edinburgh’s thoughts of a bonus point swiftly switched to closing out the game, and that they did.