Cometh the hour, comet the man for skipper Haley

WATSONIANS stepped up their early promotion surge by sweeping aside the challenge of Ayr 36-18 at Myreside.

Graeme Haley again played a captain’s part by grabbing two tries - with another double being claimed by Andy Turnbull.

Richard McKeown had laid the platform with an early score, while Bernie Hennessy kicked the rest of their points.

Steve Heaton and Andy Reid went over for Ayr, the latter also earning the kicking points.

Gala kept up their strong run by beating Murrayfield Wanderers by 19-14 at Netherdale. Chris Dalgleish powered through for their only touchdown, but it was Andy McLean who did the business with a string of accurate kicks. Carl McWilliam scored the Wanderers try, with the rest of their counters coming from the boot of Steve Threadgall.

GHA were back in the groove to dispose of fallen giants Kelso 31-5 at Braidholm. Former West of Scotland favourites David Jamieson and Nicky Barrett each bagged two tries, with the other being snapped up by Ross Armour.

James Noonan added three conversions for good measure, while Stewart Laing broke through for Kelso’s consolation effort.

Kirkcaldy recovered from an interval deficit to edge out Biggar 18-13 at Beveridge Park. Cammy Goodall was the main man for the home side with two touchdowns, with Derek McCombe adding a series of kicks which also proved crucial. Jonathan Hori claimed the Biggar try, Murray Thomson landing the conversion and a pair of penalties.

Grangemouth eased their jitters with a hard-fought 24-21 home success over Selkirk.

Their touchdowns were supplied by Tony Hayes, Donald Hughes and Scott McKechnie, with Kenny Halliday’s penalty emerging as vital. Craig Hunter went over twice for the Borderers, while Guy Blair slotted four goals in vain.

Division 3 League leaders Haddington had little difficulty in staying in top spot with a convincing 53-7 win over Ross High with Derek Anderson the hat-trick hero, followed by Andy Douglas who had a couple of touchdowns with Ross Weston, Laurence Lappin, Shane Teague and Cliff Livingston all claiming one apiece with Scott Brownlie sinking four conversions. The Ross High consolation score came from Dean Jones’ conversion of Jamie Thomson’s try.

Dundee stayed in second place with a hard-fought 14-8 win over Stewart’s-Melville at Mayfield without ever getting away from the visitors. A Neil Patterson penalty and try by Andrew Kennedy to a Stewart Bennet try give the home side an 8-5 half-time lead, but Fraser Pollock’s penalty pulled the scores level before two late Paterson penalties, the second in injury time, ensured the points stayed at Mayfield.

West came back from 16-10 down at half-time to win 23-19 at Stonyhill, while Corstorphine built on a 14-0 half-time lead to run out winners 21-10 against Dunfermline.

Rory Grant was the only scorer for Edinburgh Accies with four penalties but they were enough to give Accies a 12-10 win over East Kilbride.