Aberdeen Grammar 25 - 9 Currie: Second-half surge sees Grammar win with comfort

Share this article
Have your say

Aberdeen Grammar recorded their fourth league win out of the last five starts in their match against Currie at a wintry Rubislaw.

Currie stand-off Jamie Forbes kicked three penalties as Currie dominated early possession and territory but could not breach a solid Grammar defensive line.

Grammar worked their way back into the game and stand-off Rob Aloe converted a penalty just before half time to take the score to 3-9 at the interval.

With the elements now in their favour, the Grammar game plan changed and they kept Currie pinned back in their own 22 with accurate touch kicks. From one of these, in the 47th minute, prop Matt Dixon was driven over for a well-worked try, converted by Aloe, to put the home team in the lead for the first time at 10-9.

Grammar grew in confidence and were soon 15-9 up after wing Callum Anderson scored in the corner from a flowing three-quarter move. A further penalty by replacement stand-off Alex Hagart added to the total before an excellent back row move from a scrum inside the Currie 22 saw lock Murray Douglas crash over for a third try, converted by Hagart.

The 25-9 final score did not flatter the home side who now have a three-week break from league action until the challenging away fixture against Gala on 22 December.

Scorers: Aberdeen Grammar: Tries: Dixon, Anderson, Douglas. Cons: Aloe, Hagart. Pens: Aloe, Hagart. Currie: Pens: Forbes (3).

Aberdeen Grammar: S Aitken; Erlend Oag, W Wardlaw, P Nacamavuto, C Anderson; R Aloe, M Ward; Matt Dixon, F Gillies, S Corsar, S Smith, M Douglas, G Ryan, T McGinness, C Ayre. Reps used: S Bingham, C McConnachie, A Hagart, J Lauder, A Crammond.

Currie: A Whittingham; A McMahon, S James, J Broadley, R Neill; J Forbes, R Sneddon; J Cox, B Emslie, F Watt, G Temple, J Gray, M Cairns, M Entwhistle, R Weston. Reps used: A Hamilton, M Erskine, M Vernal, A Adam, M Bond.

Referee: K White.