Rugby: Boroughmuir must scrap to make Premiership top eight

Boroughmuir slipped closer to the dogfight for a top-eight finish in the Premiership when they sustained a third successive defeat against opponents who have qualified for the British & Irish Cup.

After close calls against Melrose and Currie, Muir travelled to face Ayr in a justifiably confident mood. However, the outcome proved to be further disappointment for Fergus Pringle’s team who lost 37-17 despite a try by Iain Moody and four penalties from the boot of Ally Warnock.

There was also further bad news for Heriot’s who were away to fellow strugglers Glasgow Hawks.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Despite a big contribution from skipper Graham Wilson, who bagged all his team’s points with a try, conversion and two penalties, the Goldenacre men had only a narrow defeat bonus point from the 19-13 loss and they now face a tense run in to the first half of the campaign.

Unbeaten Division Two leaders Stewart’s-Melville produced a battling performance to extend their lead at the top of the table with a 26-22 win over second-placed Jed-Forest that extends their advantage over the Borderers to five points.

For Stew-Mel, Andy Hughes touched down and Seb Trotter added the conversion plus two penalties as the sides reached the interval locked at 13-13. The lead changed hands several times in the second period, with Mike Hanning dotting down for a debut try to nudge Stew-Mel back into the lead and then kicking a penalty, although the hosts led 22-21 with five minutes to play. However, Willie Aiken ploughed over for the decisive score.

Watsonians were also on the road but Marcus Di Rollo’s team had to settle for a narrow defeat bonus from their trip to face Hillhead/Jordanhill. The Myreside men led at the break but succumbed to a second-half fight back and were squeezed out 30-27. Di Rollo, Jack Ferguson and Danny Moussa had a try apiece, while Brian Walls kicked the other points for ’Sonians who have now slipped to fourth in the table.

In Division Three, Lasswade were looking to bounce back from a defeat last time out when they hosted leaders Kirkcaldy.

But, it was another disappointing afternoon for the hosts who battled back from a 22-0 half-time deficit. Neil Clark touched down twice and Niall Gray also crossed the whitewash, while Nick Wood kicked two conversions. However, the hosts had to settle for a second successive losing bonus point after going down 22-19.

At the other end of the table, Haddington went to Morgan Academy in Dundee, but lost 26-17.