Jules Bianchi in ‘critical but stable’ condition

Jules Bianchi required surgery after the crash. Picture: PA
Jules Bianchi required surgery after the crash. Picture: PA
Share this article
Have your say

JULES BIANCHI is in a “critical but stable” condition following his accident at Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix.

A spokesperson for the FIA, Formula 1’s governing body, gave the update last night and it is understood his family will finally see him today after being delayed in getting to him due to Typhoon Phanfone.

Marussia have issued a statement thanking fans for their support and asked for “patience and understanding” after the Frenchman’s accident.

The 25-year-old required surgery on a severe head injury, having ploughed into the back of a tractor which had been rescuing the stricken Sauber of Adrian Sutil, who had spun off the Suzuka circuit on the previous lap.

A Marussia statement issued yesterday said: “Following the accident involving Jules Bianchi during yesterday’s 2014 Formula One Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka Circuit, the Marussia F1 Team would like to acknowledge the huge outpouring of support and affection for Jules and the team at this very difficult time.

“With regard to the communication of information concerning Jules’ medical condition, we will respect, and be guided by, the wishes of the Bianchi family. Together with Jules’ care, they will remain our highest priority.

“Therefore, we would ask for patience and understanding with regard to further medical updates, which will be communicated in conjunction with the Mie General Medical Center in Yokkaichi, where Jules is being treated, when they feel it is appropriate. Representatives of the Marussia F1 Team and Scuderia Ferrari will remain at the hospital to support Jules and the Bianchi family.”

The Formula 1 season moves on to Sochi in Russia for next weekend’s race and it remains to be seen if Marussia take part.

An ambulance was sent to the scene in Suzuka immediately after Bianchi’s crash, which had knocked him unconscious, and the race was halted at 44 laps, with Lewis Hamilton being declared the winner. The FIA, F1’s governing body, subsequently issued a statement which read: “Adrian Sutil lost control of his car, spun and hit the tyre barrier on the outside of Turn 7.

“The marshals displayed double waved yellow flags before the corner to warn drivers of the incident. A recovery vehicle was despatched in order to lift the car and take it to a place of safety behind the guardrail. While this was being done the driver of car 17, Jules Bianchi, lost control of his car, travelled across the run-off area and hit the back of the tractor.

“Once the marshals reported that the driver was injured, medical teams were despatched and the safety car was deployed. These were followed by an extrication team and an ambulance. The driver was removed from the car, taken to the circuit medical centre and then by ambulance to Mie General Hospital.”

It added that a CT scan had shown Bianchi suffered “a severe head injury” and that he was to undergo surgery before being moved to intensive care.

The race, under threat of cancellation in the build-up as Typhoon Phanfone headed towards Suzuka, had already been red-flagged due to torrential rain in the early stages before Bianchi’s accident.