Kello vows to fight back into Hearts No1 spot

MARIAN KELLO today expressed regret at losing his place in goal ahead of Hearts' SPL match with Celtic, however, the Slovakian insists it is only a matter of time before he regains the goalkeeping position from Janos Balogh.

Csaba Laszlo, the Hearts manager, is likely to keep faith with Balogh this weekend after he deputised for Kello against Hibs and Aberdeen.

Kello suffered a head injury in an aerial collision with Colin Nish at Easter Road and was withdrawn at half-time. He has now returned to training but expects to be named as substitute goalkeeper on Sunday.

Balogh, on loan from Debrecen until January, satisfied Laszlo with his performances but Kello stressed that he will not relinquish his position easily and is intent on deposing the Hungarian.

"I'm thinking about myself and my work," he said. "I want to feel like before and I want to feel good, then I can think about my position. I think my time will come so I'm not thinking 'what happens now?' just because I might not play. My time is coming.

"If Janos plays well, there is not any reason to change him so I will wait. I know everything about that. Ten players can play on a football pitch for one team but there can only be one goalkeeper. It's different for goalkeepers. One plays well, so the other must wait.

"It's good to have competition, it keeps your performance high.

"I was looking forward to this game against Celtic. These are big games for the supporters and everyone at Hearts. I'm disappointed, of course. Now I must wait to play games again. This makes me more determined to get my place back soon."

Kello revealed the full extent of his injury for the first time, adding: "I jumped for a cross against Hibs and somebody hit me on the head. I don't know how it happened but later I realised it was Nish. I felt the pain and I could not continue.

"It was not a very big hit or a very strong hit but in the dressing-room I did not feel good. I was shaking and my head was spinning. I spoke with the doctors and they said it's better not to go out for the second half. After a few days rest I started training again.

"It's always difficult because if the injury happens before a game, another goalkeeper can prepare to play and he has time to think about it. At half-time it is a lot more difficult for another goalkeeper who is sitting on the bench. I was thinking about that and I thought, 'can I play or not?' I wanted to play because it was an important game and a good atmosphere, but it was not possible."