Hockey: Salmond’s late winner keeps Inverleith on top

Share this article
Have your say

Derek Salmond’s late strike 30 seconds from the end saved Inverleith’s blushes with a narrow 6-5 win over a battling Dundee Wanderers side.

The result keeps the Edinburgh side a point ahead of rivals Grove Menzieshill at the top of the indoor Division One.

Wanderers gave an early indication of taking the game to Inverleith when they marched into a 3-1 lead midway through the first half, the goals coming from Fergus Sandison, Bobby Ralph and Francis Mulgrew. Graham Moodie then pulled one back for Inverleith and by the interval the scores were level at 3-3 thanks to Moodie again and David Guy.

Inverleith seemed to have the situation under control again when Fabian Wolski and Salmond put them 5-3 ahead but Wanderers were not for lying down and a double from Paul Dailly squared the game at 5-5 before Salmond’s late winner.

There was no hint of an upset when Inverleith disposed of Glynhill Kelburne 7-4 in their first match, especially as they were three ahead after only eight minutes through Salmond, Tom Cousins and Moodie. Midway through the second half it was 7-1 with goals from Guy from the spot, Adam McKenzie and Ross Jamieson (2) before the Paisley side notched three late consolations.

In contrast, Menzieshill saw off their opposition, with bottom side Harris trounced 11-1 thanks, in part, to Chris Wilson scoring four. Earlier in the day, Grange beat Western Wildcats 5-2, the goals coming from Martin Kelly (2), Fraser Sands, Stuart Laing and Cammie Fraser.

But Grange surrendered third spot in the table to Glynhill Kelburne, who beat Harris 9-2 and then PSL Clydesdale 6-4, the highlight being a personal tally of nine goals by former CALA Edinburgh striker Scott Sutherland.

In the women’s league, Dundee Wanderers remain top of the table courtesy of eight goals from Vikki Bunce in the 13-1 destruction of Inverleith followed by a 4-2 victory over Milne Craig Western. CALA Edinburgh have finally made their mark. First, they drew 4-4 with Western Wildcats and, in their second game they held second-placed Grove Menzieshill to a 1-1 draw and may have ruined the champions chances of retaining their title. After a goalless first half, Louise Carroll put the Dundonians in front from a penalty corner, but with three minutes left Amy Brodie equalised also from a set piece.