Hockey: Britain take bronze with victory over New Zealand

Great Britain came away with the bronze medal on the last day of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia yesterday after a 4-2 victory over New Zealand.

In an ominous start for Jason Lee's charges, New Zealand had the ball in the net in four minutes, but the umpire ordered the penalty corner to be retaken with the resulting shot blocked by keeper Nick Brothers. Stephen Jenness did put the New Zealanders ahead against the run of play but, just on the interval, Richard Mantell finally found his penalty corner expertise and levelled the scores.

The second half was all Great Britain and only some brilliant saves by Kiwi keeper Kyle Pontifex kept the score down. In 52 minutes, they went ahead for the first time with a powerful shot from Rob Moore that went in off the keeper and, seven minutes later, Richard Smith made it 3-1 at a penalty corner. The result was sealed with five minutes left, Surbiton's Matt Daly made it four from close range. Blair Hilton made the score more respectable for the Kiwis with a consolation in the final 20 seconds.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Jason Lee, GB head coach, said: "I'm very pleased. We came here with an unbalanced squad and with minimum preparation. As a result, we have to be happy with a bronze medal."

On Saturday, Lee's squad allowed a spot in the final to slip away with a 3-1 defeat at the hands of the Koreans in the final pool match and Pakistan took full advantage to leapfrog into second place with a 3-2 defeat of Malaysia.

Keeper Nick Brothers palmed away an early Korean chance but could nothing to stop the Asians taking the lead in only ten minutes. Great Britain were back on level terms midway through the first half when Daly's powerful flick at a penalty corner flew into the net off the keeper's foot. But Daly was sent to the sin bin and the Koreans took advantage by taking a 2-1 lead. The British cause was not helped by a further visit by Daly to the sin bin and wasted penalty corners, Richard Mantell firing wide of the target on two occasions.

Korea increased their lead when they scored from a rebound at a penalty corner early in the second half. Australia beat Pakistan 3-2 in the final.