Danny Willett won his first major title on Sunday with victory at the Masters. Here are seven facts about the 28-year-old from Sheffield:
1. Willett came close to not even playing in the tournament as his wife’s due date for their first child was on Sunday but their son, Zachariah James, was born via C-section a week ahead of the tournament.
2. Before his debut in the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral’s ‘Blue Monster’ course in March, Willett ‘played’ the course on a simulator at Doncaster Golf Range. He went on to finish joint 12th in the prestigious tournament.
3. His father is a vicar.
4. In the first round of the Amateur Championship in 2007, Willett beat Rory McIlroy 2&1, having been five up after six holes.
5. His wife Nicole caddied for Willett in the par-three contest on the eve of his debut in last year’s Masters. Willett finished joint 38th in the tournament proper at Augusta National.
6. In Dubai in January last year, Willett, his wife and caddie took part in a charity skydive to raise funds for the British Heart Foundation.
7. After leaving school at 16, Willett quit a local college course after a month – “I hated it” he says – before attending Jacksonville State in Alabama for two years.