Forfar Athletic 2 - 0 Arbroath: Forfar win battle of Angus to secure promotion

MARTYN FOTHERINGHAM and Bryan Deasley combined to help clinch promotion for ten-man Forfar at the expense of their Angus neighbours Arbroath.

Fotheringham stepped up on six minutes to volley high over Arbroath keeper Darren Hill from 18 yards, before Deasley sealed it with a late second to send the majority of the bumper 2,207 crowd home happy.

However, they had to do it the hard way as defender Steven Tulloch was red carded on 59 minutes for a second booking, leaving them to battle a man down for more than half an hour to join Livingston in gaining promotion.

Forfar manager Dick Campbell said: "We came here and there was a bit of a mess to sort out but we've done it and we're in the Second Division."

Forfar didn't have it all their own way as Arbroath were first to have a go in two minutes when Keith Gibson flashed a 20-yard drive just wide to signal his side's intent.

But Forfar took the lead on six minutes as Fotheringham latched on to Mark McCulloch's long throw to turn and volley home spectacularly.

The action didn't stop there, though, as Steven Dorris cracked a 25-yard strike off the face of the crossbar on seven minutes. Fotheringham then shot wide from ten yards and Dorris saw another effort finish in the side-netting at the other end.

Forfar goalkeeper Euan McLean then kept his side ahead with a superb point-blank stop to deny Phil McGuire's header from crossing the line.

Forfar should have doubled their advantage just after the break as Steven Tulloch's cross found Chris Templeman unmarked inside the six-yard box. But Templeman's poor control let him down and the chance was gone.

Arbroath were then handed a lifeline as Tulloch walked for a second bookable offence in controversial circumstances.

Tulloch and Mitch Megginson went in for what appeared to be a 50-50 challenge, with the former receiving treatment before being given his marching orders by referee Iain Brines as he got to his feet.

Arbroath tried to turn the screw and defender David Mowat nearly scored an own goal as a low cross from Dorris spun off him to force McLean into action. At the other end sub Deasley missed a golden chance to seal the win for Forfar when he headed over from six yards, but he made no mistake at the end as he broke clear to chip over Hill.

Forfar: McLean; McCulloch, Tulloch, Bishop, Tod, Sellars, Graham Gibson, Mowat, Temple man (Gordon 85), Watson (Kevin Fotheringham 70), Martin Fotheringham (Deasley 49). Subs: Brown; Gordon, Deasley, Smith. Booked: Tulloch, Templeman. Red card: Tulloch.

Arbroath: Hill; Rattray, Booth, McLaughlin, McGuire (Suttie 87), Keith Gibson (Nimmo 56), Doris, McCulloch, Megginson (McIkravey 76), Ross, Kenny McLean. Subs: Morrison; McMullen. Booked: Rattray.

Attendance: 2,207.

Referee: Iain Brines.