Uefa set to investigate crowd trouble at England-Russia game

Tempers flare in the stands between Russia and England fans. Picture: Nick Potts/PA Wire
Tempers flare in the stands between Russia and England fans. Picture: Nick Potts/PA Wire
Share this article
Have your say

Uefa is poised to launch an investigation after trouble flared between fans after England’s Euro 2016 1-1 draw with Russia.

England fans appeared to come under attack from Russian supporters who broke through barriers inside Marseille’s Stade Velodrome after the final whistle.

It is understood European football’s governing body will now investigate the incidents, which came after a third day of violence in the Mediterranean port city which left as many as 20 England fans injury, with reportedly several seriously hurt in bloody clashes between rival fans.

In addition to the confrontations between rival sets of supporters, fireworks were also set off inside the stadium, raising questions about security as they should not have been allowed inside the ground.

Two large white flares were set off in the Russian end of the ground, while fireworks were also let off, with a large bang heard from behind the goal defended by England’s Joe Hart.

Rebekah Vardy, wife of England and Leicester striker Jamie Vardy, was at the match, and wrote on Twitter that she had been caught up in trouble prior to kick-off.

“That has to be up there with the worst experience EVER at an away game! Teargassed for no reason, caged and treated like animals! Shocking!” she tweeted.

“I witnessed this with my own eyes! I can’t comment on things I didn’t see but what I got caught up in was horrific and uncalled for!

“And this happened before the game even kicked off!”

Prior to the match, French police used water cannon and tear gas on rioters as fist fights and bottle throwing broke out between rival supporters in Marseille’s Old Port.

Football Association head of communications Mark Whittle read out a statement in a post-match press conference.

“We regret the trouble in Marseille today. The FA is very disappointed about the terrible scenes of disorder and of course condemns such behaviour. It is now in the hands of the relevant authorities to identify those involved in trouble and deal with them appropriately and quickly.

“At this time the FA urges England supporters to act in a respectful manner and support England in the right way.”

Broken glass lay strewn across the square in Marseille’s Old Port as the police fired tear gas into the crowds, causing individuals to run.

Fans were seen being beaten to the floor and repeatedly kicked in the head.

Bloodied fans were seen fleeing the scene as missiles continued to be thrown.

Some of the streets close to the port were left covered in streams of blood and broken glass.

Eyewitnesses said a group of Russian hooligans arrived before fighting began.

Chairs from outside bars and cafes had been smashed apart and used as weapons. Some were covered in blood.

Car windscreens had also been smashed during the fighting.

Onlookers said the area looked “like a war zone”.

A long line of riot police was trying to contain the trouble-makers.

Police started to use water cannon as groups continued to charge at each other in the Old Port area.

Hundreds of people were contained within the area by police who had formed a line.

Some people were chanting “England” or “Russia”.

There was also the constant crunch of broken glass underfoot.

One English fan was seen sat on the floor covered in blood with a bandage round his head while another man was reportedly given CPR and taken to hospital after an apparent cardiac arrest.

Scottish heritage: for stories on Scotland’s people, places and past >>