St Johnstone won’t show respect to Rosenborg

Chris Millar: Counter-attack. Picture: PA
Chris Millar: Counter-attack. Picture: PA
Share this article
Have your say

Midfielder Chris Millar has learned from St Johnstone’s foray into the Europa League last season – and will not give Rosenborg too much respect on Thursday night.

St Johnstone, who beat Morton 1-0 at the weekend, are looking for improvement on last term’s 3-1 aggregate defeat by Eskisehirspor when they travel to Norway for the first leg of the second qualifying round. Millar told Saints TV: “When we went to Turkey we gave them too much respect and we sat in too much. Obviously you have got to respect they are a very good side and they’ll be looking to score. But there will be chances to catch them on the counter-attack. Hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves.”

Peter Weatherson got a fine send-off from Morton and their fans in his testimonial game at Cappielow, while Dave Mackay scored the goal from a free kick.

Aberdeen’s Niall McGinn looks like being a thorn in the side of opposing defences again this season as he hit a hat-trick in the Dons’ 4-1 win at Huntly in the testimonial game for Christie Park defender Russell Gault.

Scott Vernon was also on the mark, while Gault netted from the penalty spot,

Partick Thistle defeated First Division opposition as they downed Dumbarton 4-3 at the Bet Butler Stadium. James Craigen, Ross Forbes, Stephen O’Donnell and Mark Kerr were on target for the visitors, with Mark Gilhanney, Scott Agnew and Mitchell Megginson scoring for the Sons.

Ross County lost out on the Les Taylor Memorial Trophy when they went down 2-0 away to Third Division Peterhead.

St Mirren also lost as they went down 4-0 to Charlton in Marbella with Johnnie Jackson, Danny Hollands, Yann Kermogrant and Danny Green scoring for the Londoners.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle were made to wait late for their goals against Elgin City at Borough Briggs. However, they finally came with Terry Butcher’s side winning 2-0. Garry Warren and Richie Foran found the net.

Motherwell played out a goalless draw at Doncaster.

Leigh Griffiths returned to his first club, Livingston, and left with a 2-1 win after his Wolves side came back from a goal down to triumph. Marc McNulty gave the Lions the lead on 12 minutes, Wolves drew level when a half-hit effort by George Elokobi was deflected into the net.Griffiths peppered the home goal, but he could not hit the back of the net. However, David Davis scored the winner when he lashed home a Liam McAlinden cut-back six minutes into the second half.

Hamilton Accies’ eleventh successive appearance in the Oban Tournament was a success as they finally managed to win the D&K Cup and they did it in style. Alex Neil’s team were unbeaten after their four 40-minute games against Dundee United, Albion Rovers, Fort William and Oban Saints where they managed to score seven times without conceding.

Forfar Athletic hosted Dundee and they went down 1-0 with Carlo Monti keeping up the fine form that won him a permanent contract at Dens Park when he headed in the game’s only goal during the first half.

East Fife and Cowdenbeath played out a goalless draw at Bayview Stadium, where the home side’s Adam Bouzid and the visiting Jamie Stevenson were dismissed.

Falkirk defeated Highland League opposition for the third time in a row on their short tour of the North of Scotland although they had to work hard for their 4-2 success at Turriff. Alloa Athletic also won in the north as Paul Hartley’s side saw off Highland League Champions Cove Rangers 2-0 thanks to a free kick by Iain Flannigan and a header by Andy Kirk.

Queen of the South got practice in for their first season on an artificial surface with a 2-0 win on the plastic pitch of neighbours Annan Athletic.

Airdrieonians won 3-2 at Deveronvale, while Arbroath defeated Lossiemouth 3-2. Ayr United went down 4-1 at home to Rotherham, East Stirling beat Craigroyston 2-1 and Clyde defeated Keith 4-1 in a closed-door game.