Rangers make offer for Preston striker Joe Garner

Joe Garner has been at Preston since January 2013. Picture: Getty
Joe Garner has been at Preston since January 2013. Picture: Getty
0
Have your say

Rangers have stepped up their bid for a new striker by submitting a formal offer for Preston’s Joe Garner.

North End boss Simon Grayson has confirmed the Sky Bet Championship outfit received a bid from the Glasgow giants for the 28-year-old over the weekend.

Preston are yet to respond to the proposal, but Gers manager Mark Warburton will be keen to get business concluded soon with last year’s top scorer Martyn Waghorn currently sidelined with a hamstring knock.

The Englishman is on the hunt for a new striker and defender, and it appears he is now closing in on both his preferred targets, with reports on Monday claiming former Arsenal centre-back Philippe Senderos has arrived in Scotland for talks.

And Grayson admits he may be prepared to let Garner - who netted just six goals last term but grabbed 27 the year before as Preston won promotion from League One - make the move north if the player’s heart is set on signing for the Ladbrokes Premiership title hopefuls.

He told the Lancashire Evening Post’s website: “We have had a bid from Rangers but we haven’t accepted or declined it at this moment in time.

“We will be speaking to Joe to get an opinion on what he wants to do and try and get it concluded one way or the other.

“That is not to say we have to sell. Sometimes you have to give the player the opportunity to see what he wants to do. It can be unfair if you decline an offer and a player wants to go.

“There are talks going on between Joe, myself and representatives, but ultimately we are in a position where we don’t have to sell. In Joe, we have a player who is under contract for two more years. Ultimately, it might boil down to if Joe wants to leave or not.”

Warburton revealed Garner was on his list of potential targets when he spoke after Saturday’s 2-1 win at Dundee, but refused to divulge how far talks had progressed.

He said: “He’s one of a number of names mentioned. He’s one of about four or five strikers, four or five defenders we’re linked to.

“All we do is go about our business. When the contract is signed and the ink’s still wet, we might let you know. But right now we’re looking at various options.”

READ MORE - Rumour Mill: Forrester ‘should have been sent off’ | Rodgers bemoans friendly | Rangers face Garner fight | Stoke eye Souttar

Click here for the latest results, fixtures and stats>>>

Keep up to date with all our sport news on The Scotsman’s Sport page on Facebook

DOWNLOAD THE SCOTSMAN APP ON ITUNES OR GOOGLE PLAY