Queens’ procession continues as Palmerston parties

Have your say

Queen of the South clinched the Second Division title in fantastic style in midweek with a 6-0 win over Brechin City, and they showed no signs on Saturday that they are going to take their foot off the accelerator any time soon by defeating the same opponents 2-1.

The Glebe Park side travelled down to Palmerston in more resolute fashion, but the Doonhamers won to keep the party atmosphere in Dumfries going ahead of next Sunday’s Ramsdens Cup Final against First Division leaders Partick Thistle.

Allan Johnston’s led after 19 minutes when Mark Durnan netted from close range after a Chris Mitchell corner had been flicked on.

Derek Lyle headed against a post before volleying home a second goal for the hosts with 18 minutes left, though Brechin pulled a goal back three minutes later when Alan Trouten netted a penalty after Durnan had fouled Andy Jackson.

There was to be no leveller and Johnston said afterwards: “I do not envisage complacency setting in as we still have a lot to play for. We have a cup final next weekend and we want to overtake Gretna’s points tally of 88. We are still seven short of that. They set out to frustrate us with five at the back and four in midfield but we still found a way to win.”

Brechin boss Ray McKinnon, pleased that his men showed resilience after their midweek capitulation, said: “It is always disappointing to lose but the players reacted well after Wednesday night’s game.

“We had players out with injuries and suspension but the boys that came in did well.”

“Hopefully we can get back to winning ways on Tuesday when we play East Fife.”

Alloa remain second, 27 points behind Queens following their 2-1 win at Stranraer where Graeme Holmes and Ryan McCord both scored for the Wasps after half-time before Robert Love pulled a goal back with three minutes left.

Arbroath now hold the last remaining play-off spot following a pulsating 4-2 Angus derby victorty over hosts Forfar.

Steven Doris fired the Gayfield men in front, but Danny Denholm levelled before half-time and Chris Templeman had the Loons in front ten minutes after the restart. Goals by Colin Hamilton, Michael Travis and Paul Sheerin turned the game back around and moved the Red Lichties up the table.

Ayr’s Liam Buchanan and David Winters scored in the last 11 minutes to secure a 2-1 win over a East Fife, who had led through a Scott Durie goal.

The Fifers will now be looking over their shoulder at bottom side Albion Rovers who dented Stenhousemuir’s promotion hopes with a 1-0 win at Ochilview where Chris Dallas’s goal after just 13 seconds was decisive to close the gap to six points.