Hamilton Accies 2-1 Morton: Gordon gem wins it

Share this article
Have your say

MORTON saw their title hopes take a massive jolt when Hamilton battled back to win with a fabulous goal from defender Ziggy Gordon.

SCORERS: Hamilton Accies - Gaston (36 og), Gordon (58); Morton - O’Brien (8)

Leaders Morton passed up the chance to go five points clear after going in front early on, but now find themselves relying on Partick Thistle crumbling in the run-in if they are to achieve their dream of SPL football.

Accies were almost gifted a goal after four minutes when Martin Hardie miscued a clearance and Stevie May hooked the ball across the face of goal.

Morton, unbeaten in their previous seven matches, quickly got into their stride and took the lead after eight minutes when Michael Tidser carved open the static Accies defence with a superb ball through to David O’Brien, who finished the job with a crisp low 15-yard shot.

Accies, who were the only side Morton had not registered a victory over this season, were desperate to continue that record and, three minutes later, almost levelled when Grant Gillespie’s initial shot was blocked and Gary Fisher, in support, whipped an 18-yard volley just wide.

May threatened in 26 minutes when he curled a 20-yard free-kick over the defensive wall, but Morton goalkeeper Derek Gaston gathered well. Three minutes later, Gaston was called into action again, this time to save a fierce effort by Fisher.

Accies deservedly levelled in 36 minutes but it was courtesy a horrific mistake by Gaston, who dropped Fisher’s inswinging corner and the ball trickled over the line, with the goalkeeper claiming he had been pushed.

Two minutes after the interval, Accies might have gone in front when another Fisher corner was met by the unmarked Mikey Devlin, but his header went wide. There was no reprieve for Morton in 58 minutes, though, when the Lanarkshire side got the winner with a stunning effort. Gordon burst down the left to collect a pass from Jon Routledge and curl a magnificent 25-yard shot high into the net for his first goal of the season. Allan Moore, in a desperate bid to rescue a point, committed all three substitutes, but it back fired when Morton had to play the last 14 minutes with ten men after Willie Dyer was carried off.