Dunfermline 1 - 2 East Fife: Last minute goals bag win

Share this article
Have your say

TWO goals in the last nine minutes secured a famous come-from-behind victory for bottom-of-the-table East Fife on their first league visit to East End Park since 1987.

Ross Brown and Liam Buchanan’s late one-two rounded off a bittersweet week for Dunfermline, now under the control of supporters group Pars United but also in mourning following the death on Friday of the club’s prolific 1960s forward Charlie Dickson, pictured, whose goalscoring talents were sorely missed yesterday.

Jordan Moore’s first-half strike put Dunfermline on course for a fourth straight home win, but they failed to see the job through and lost further ground to their promotion rivals after crashing 4-0 in their previous fixture at Forfar. It took the Pars fully 15 minutes to unpick the visitors’ defence, but Josh Falkingham was unable to direct his header on target following an accurate cross from right back Ross Millen.

East Fife enjoyed little possession, although they used it effectively, as demonstrated in the 20th minute when only a fine reflex save from home keeper Ryan Scully kept Ryan Stewart’s left-foot finish out at the end of a sweeping counter-attack.

Later on, Scully had to claw away an inswinging corner from Craig Johnstone, but it was otherwise all Dunfermline and Moore really ought to have headed them in front from close range after 34 minutes. Moore did get it right two minutes before the break with a rasping finish from 15 yards.

Substitute Ryan Thomson with a glancing header and Millen with a blocked left-foot shot might have put the result beyond doubt early in the second period, but as long as it remained 1-0, Dunfermline remained vulnerable to a late sucker punch. So it proved as, with less than ten minutes left, East Fife brought on strikers Cedric Tuta and Pat Clarke and equalised immediately. Tuta’s backheel opened up the home defence and Brown capitalised with a left-foot screamer into the far corner.

Ex-Pars forward Buchanan completed the comeback three minutes later with a curling effort which deceived Scully from 25 yards.