Dundee 2 - 1 Queen of the South: Beattie bags winner

A home victory at Dens Park. Picture: Phil Wilkinson
A home victory at Dens Park. Picture: Phil Wilkinson
Share this article
Have your say

DUNDEE striker Craig Beattie moved his side to within a point of Hamilton with a last-gasp strike which continued their revival at rain-lashed Dens Park yesterday.

The former Celtic star climbed off the bench to hit a late winner for the second-top Taysiders who are now breathing down Accies’ necks in the title race.

Beattie had been nursing a groin injury but lashed his 88th-minute shot past Queens keeper Alexander Clark after ex-Dundee man Derek Lyle had cancelled out Peter MacDonald’s 78th-minute opener. “I was so hungry to play,” said Beattie. “My groin settled well over the week and I did a good bit of work on it to try and start the match. I told the manager on Friday and today that I was feeling fit but he stuck to his guns so I was on the bench. I wanted to play but I had to respect the manager’s decisions.”

Brown, whose side have chalked up four straight league wins, praised Beattie for his vintage strike. He said: “I didn’t think I’d get 90 minutes out of Beattie but his goal was class and he gives us a big presence up front.”

Dundee handed 16-year-old Craig Wighton his first start. After an even first-half, Dundee survived a scare in 63 minutes when Queens’ Danny Carmichael’s cross came off Gary Irvine before hitting the bar. Yet it was MacDonald who made it 1-0 with a close-range finish after Beattie’s initial shot was spilled by Clark. Two minutes later, though, Lyle equalised with a low drive through Letheren’s legs after Carmichael’s cross eluded the Dundee defence. But Beattie came to the rescue as he pounced on a rebound from MacDonald’s shot to fire a low 16-yard drive past Clark to send Dens wild.

Queens manager Jim McIntyre felt his side merited something for their efforts, saying: “Football is cruel at times and we didn’t deserve to lose the way we did.”