SFA diverts Rangers’ £35,000 TV cash to United

Dundee United will net 35,000 pounds owed to them by Rangers. Picture: SNS
Dundee United will net 35,000 pounds owed to them by Rangers. Picture: SNS
Share this article
Have your say

DUNDEE United have been told by the Scottish Football Association that they will receive £35,000 of the outstanding money owed to them from their William Hill Scottish Cup tie against Rangers.

United are thought to be demanding around £67,000 from ticket sales from the meeting between the sides at Ibrox in February, before the Glasgow giants entered administration.

The matter is subject to a ruling by the SFA’s judiciary panel which will take place in April.

However, a sum of cash from broadcasting revenue – which would normally have been distributed to the Scottish champions – will be paid into the Tannadice club’s coffers instead.

An SFA statement confirmed: “The Scottish FA has notified Dundee United that they will this week receive £35,000 of the outstanding money from their William Hill Scottish Cup tie against Rangers in February.

“This money will help meet part of the overdue payable to the club and has been offset from broadcasting revenue from the competition that, under normal circumstances, would have been distributed to Rangers.

“The Scottish FA has informed both clubs.”

Rangers were issued with a notice of complaint by the SFA on 8 March for failure to pay money owed to United.

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan said at the time: “We have sent a letter to the Rangers administrators, Duff and Phelps, advising them that failure to pay monies owed to another member constitutes a breach of the Cup Competition Rules. Consequently, the club faces disciplinary action unless they make payments due to Dundee United from their recent William Hill Scottish Cup tie.”

The issue with United was one of several alleged offences which saw Rangers and owner Craig Whyte charged with bringing the game into disrepute and that case was set to be heard by a three-man judiciary panel at Hampden last week.

However, the hearing was adjourned until 17, 18 and 20 April after Whyte’s lawyers asked for more time to prepare a case.