Partick Thistle on form after sinking Dumbarton

Share this article
Have your say

PARTICK Thistle’s players are doing all they can to get interim manager Alan Archibald the job on a permanent basis and, after beating visitors Dumbarton 3-0 on Saturday, they have the perfect opportunity to strengthen his case 
further tomorrow night.

A win at Raith Rovers, in one of the two games that Thistle have in hand over leaders Morton, would make it five wins in a row for the Jags and send them to the top of the table.

Saturday’s success started on nine minutes when Steven Lawless volleyed in and the striker doubled the gap between the sides when he shot home from 25 yards with 16 minutes left.

Kris Doolan bundled the ball in with seven minutes left to complete the scoring but Archibald kept things calm afterwards. He said: “It is nice to hear the players talking about wanting me as the boss and it is nice to have the fans chanting my name but there is no news on that front.”

“I am happy at what we have done, as not only is it four wins, it is also four clean sheets and we are still very much in the hunt. We will move on to Raith and look for another win and a clean sheet.”

Dumbarton boss Ian Murray, who has seen his side take only one point from their last 12, said: “I am not going to be hard on the boys as they played well, in fact they played as well as they have done in weeks.”

Morton stayed at the top of the tree with a 2-0 success over a Falkirk side still coming to terms with the loss of manager Steven Pressley to Coventry.

Archie Campbell marked his first start in four months with a low finish to open the scoring from eight yards and the second came just before the break when Peter MacDonald headed in off the post.

Third-placed Livingston saw off hosts Raith Rovers 2-0 to win for the second time under the control of interim manager Richie Burke, boosting his case for the job on a permanent basis.

A controversial Iain Russell penalty after a handball from Brian Graham and a deflected Stefan Scougall effort 
separated the sides at half-time and also at full-time.

Troubled Dunfermline found the spirit that had been lacking in last weekend’s defeat from Partick Thistle as they battled back from two goals down to draw 3-3 at Airdrie United.

The Diamonds led through Nathan Blockley’s header after just 11 minutes, however Stephen Husband netted a fine leveller midway through the first half when he scored directly from a free-kick.

Ryan Donnelly turned the ball home to put Airdrie in front on 53 minutes and it looked game over when Willie McLaren curled in a shot with just five minutes left.

But the Pars rallied and Ryan Wallace thumped home a fine goal within seconds and substitute Andy Kirk rammed home a cross from Allan Smith to tie things in injury time.

Cowdenbeath and Hamilton drew 1-1 at Central Park with Steven May slotting in the opener for the Accies after 32 minutes and Craig Moore replying six minutes later for the home side, despite visiting claims that the ball had not crossed the line.