Dumbarton 2-1 Raith Rovers: Agnew nets winner

Have your say

A SCOTT Agnew double gave Dumbarton the points but Raith, who dominated for long spells, were left to wonder how they left empty-handed.

Scorers: Dumbarton - Agnew 20, 88 pen; Raith Rovers - Stewart 63

Scott Agnew netted a double, including a late penalty. Picture: Robert Perry

Scott Agnew netted a double, including a late penalty. Picture: Robert Perry

Agnew’s spectacular opener was cancelled out by Mark Stewart, but a controversial late penalty after Ross Callachan collided with Archie Campbell saw Agnew clinch victory two minutes from time.

“It was a soft one,” admitted Ian Murray, the Dumbarton manager. “It’s one of them that you’re shouting for if it’s for you but gutted if it’s against you.”

Rovers set the pace from the start with Callachan firing a fierce half-volley narrowly wide after Stewart’s cross had been only partially cleared.

Stewart went just as close following a knock-down by Dougie Hill before the Sons sprang to life in spectacular fashion. Agnew picked up possession in midfield before unleashing a 30-yard shot which dipped and swerved on its way into the top right-hand corner of David McGurn’s net.

Callachan squandered a chance to pull Raith level when he shot straight at Danny Rogers from eight yards before Ryan Conroy’s dipping 25-yard free kick was tipped over by Rogers and then Christian Nade twice went close with headers.

The Kirkcaldy men were denied again on the restart when Rogers managed to divert Conroy’s effort behind. McGurn did just as well when Chris Kane raced through only to see his effort turned behind.

It proved a vital contribution from McGurn as Raith’s pressure finally paid off with an equaliser moments later, Stewart fastening on to Conroy’s through-ball and producing the calm finish for which his team had been crying out.

McGurn produced a brilliant finger-tip save to turn Garry Fleming’s curling shot behind as Dumbarton almost re-claimed the lead.

They did so in the dying minutes when referee Bobby Madden judged Callachan to have tripped Campbell and Agnew converted the penalty.

Raith boss Grant Murray said: “Even their players were stunned when the referee gave the penalty but we have to accept it. I thought we dominated the game and created a lot of chances so it’s hard to take.”