Livingston 1-1 Cowdenbeath: Luckless Livi held

Early goal: Daniel Mullen. Picture: Neil Hanna
Early goal: Daniel Mullen. Picture: Neil Hanna
Have your say

Livingston will feel hard done by, as having been ahead, they shot themselves in the foot with an own goal and a missed penalty, but in truth the visitors will be happier with their point even if they were second best for spells in this meteorologically-battered basement battle.

Livingston, of course, have had the type of season off the pitch which makes Rangers look settled. Managerial changes, transfer embargoes and all manner of shenanigans have meant new boss Mark Burchill hasn’t had to look further than the end of his nose for difficulties, tests and tribulations during what has been a genuine baptism of fire for the one-time Scotland striker.

Fires of any description would have been very welcome at the Energy Assets Arena, where the wintery conditions turned an infamously windy stadium into something approaching an ice box, meaning both teams deserve credit for giving those brave souls in attendance a better game than they could have expected.

Livingston’s long-suffering fans had plenty to cheer inside five minutes, Daniel Mullen opening the scoring from close range courtesy of a good assist from Keeghan Jacobs.

The home side continued to be the better team and came close to doubling their lead through Jordan White who worked Robbie Thomson in the visiting goal, then Myles Hippolyte fired wide.

Cowdenbeath were struggling to make serious headway, but got level in fortuitous circumstances after 25 minutes. Declan Hughes pitched over a free kick, which veteran defender Simon Mensing turned into his own goal.

The second half was very nip and tuck, but Livi were to fluff their lines when their big chance arrived. Kyle Jacobs was adjudged by referee George Salmond to have been fouled only for White to pass up the chance from 12 yards with Thomson making a great save to ensure the Blue Brazil left with a point and kept luckless Livi at arms length.