Cowdenbeath 1 - 3 Dumbarton: Sons increase cushion

Colin Nish opened the scoring. Picture: SNS
Colin Nish opened the scoring. Picture: SNS
Have your say

If YOU are Dumbarton, do you stick or twist? Yesterday’s 3-1 victory at Cowdenbeath has left the Sons nine points clear of relegation trouble in the Championship, but at the same time, Ian Murray’s charges are a tantalising seven points adrift of promotion places in a season where the part-timers are again punching above their weight.

Scorers: Cowdenbeath - Sutherland 66; Dumbarton - Nish 36, Mair 68, Fleming 73

Dumbarton deserved this win at Central Park. Even before former Hibs and Kilmarnock striker Colin Nish bulged the net with a fine 36th-minute finish, they had caused the Blue Brazil problems.

The visitors wrapped up all the spoils in the second half with efforts from Lee Mair and Garry Fleming after Craig Sutherland brought Jimmy Nicholl’s outfit level.

“It was a great result for us and I thought the performance was excellent,” said Dumbarton manager Murray. “I thought the game could have been done at half-time.

“That’s us now won four out of six and for us to be on a run of form like that at this level is great – we’re ecstatic about it.

“We’re just trying to keep everyone’s feet on the ground because now we go to Ibrox [to play Rangers] and then we have Hearts at our place.

“We’ve got ourselves a wee bit of breathing space and we can go and enjoy them a bit more.”


Subscribe to our daily newsletter (requires registration) and get the latest news, sport and business headlines delivered to your inbox every morning

• You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google +

Both teams made chances during an end-to-end start to the match, but Murray’s team went ahead in the 36th minute when Nish cushioned Scott Linton’s pass in the box and slammed a rising shot high into the net.

The hosts levelled in the 66th minute when Sutherland was picked out by Jon Robertson and the striker had the simple task of rolling a shot into the net from close range, but the Sons restored their lead just two minutes later when Mair glanced Archie Campbell’s corner into the net at the front post.

It was game over for the Blue Brazil in the 73rd minute after they lost a man and a third goal. Defender Thomas O’Brien was shown a straight red card for hauling back Chris Kane and Flemming curled a stunning 20-yard free-kick high into the corner of the goal.

Cowdenbeath manager Jimmy Nicholl said: “To give away a second goal after getting yourself back in the game, you don’t give yourself a chance, and again it’s an individual error.”


• Download your free 30-day trial for our iPad, Android Android and Kindle apps

Keep up to date with all aspects of Scottish life with The Scotsman iPhone app, completely free to download and use