Clyde to move from Cumbernauld to East Kilbride

Have your say

CLYDE have taken a big step forward in their plans to relocate away from their Cumbernauld home of over 19 years, Broadwood, by confirming proposals for a move to the other side of Glasgow.

After over two years of research the Bully Wee have opted for a move to East Kilbride and a re-naming of the club to EK Clyde to help build a strong identity, with the plan seeing off a potential relocation and groundshare with junior side Rutherglen Glencairn, who play a mile away from Clyde’s original home on the southside of Glasgow.

The next stage in the move is getting the approval of the club owners at a meeting next month.

On the pitch, Clyde lost 3-2 to Queen’s Park on Saturday, with Michael Keenan, Tony McParland and Lawrence Shankland netting for the Spiders in eight second-half minutes.

Elsewhere, while Annan stunned Rangers at Ibrox, Stirling Albion took a huge chunk of the Third Division limelight by securing their greatest-ever league victory when they defeated East Stirlingshire 9-1.

Kyle Gillespie got things started with an own goal before Jordan White grabbed the first of his four goals, with the Shire learning it was not going to be their day three minutes from the break.

Steven Jackson was harshly sent off for conceding a penalty that White scored at the second attempt after a retake was ordered for encroachment following a fine Grant Hay save.

Mark Ferry made it four before Max Wright scored for the Shire with Stirling netting five times in the final quarter through Phil Johnston, Ferry again, substitute Joshua Flood and another goal and a penalty from White.

Forthbank player/manager Greig McDonald said: “We have improved a lot from the side that were at the bottom of the table and that type of performance has been coming. I cannot praise the boys enough for it and we have given ourselves a huge boost for the final run in.”

Fraser McLaren hit a hat-trick and Dean Carse also netted as Berwick beat Montrose 4-0 to go fourth and Daniel Moore got the winner as Elgin won 1-0 at Peterhead.