RONNY Deila ‘can’t understand Scott Brown’; Alan Stubbs ‘not going anywhere’; Rangers set to shell out over £1 million to the SPFL and Haris Vuckic wants to stay at Ibrox
Ronny Deila: I don’t have a problem with accents, just Scott Brown’s
CELTIC boss Ronny Deila has said he is adjusting well to life at Parkhead and has built up a strong relationship with his players as the Hoops stay on course to dominate the Scottish Premiership.
One challenge in particular for Deila is understanding captain Scott Brown, having insisted that the Scottish accent isn’t too much of a problem for him.
Deila said: “I don’t find it hard to understand Scottish. It’s not hard to know the language. I can understand 70 per cent of you and the other 30 per cent is very difficult.
“Broony is one of the hardest. He is so quick. Half the time I just try to laugh at the right moments! However, I am now getting to understand more.” (Daily Record)
Deila ‘had doubts’ about Celtic job
Ronny Deila said: “There was a period when I doubted whether I wanted to do it.
“I felt it was a little unfair at times. I’ve always said I want to build things, create things. When you come in and everything is result, result, result, it’s tough to think how you are going to fix this in the right way.
“But we’ve got past that stage and we are really getting better and better and the culture’s getting better.” (The Scotsman)
Commons dismisses Rangers hopes
Celtic midfielder Kris Commons has said Rangers would be “nowhere near” ready to challenge for the Premiership title next season if they win promotion.
The Ibrox side will have to contest the play-offs in some capacity if they are to gain promotion. (Daily Record)
Hibs strikers not to blame for poor run
Hibernian manager Alan Stubbs is adamant that Hibs’ misfiring strikers are not to blame for the team’s recent slump.
The Easter Road outfit have notched only one goal – scored by midfielder Fraser Fyvie – as they have lost their last three games in a row.
Between them, the striking quartet of Jason Cummings, Dominique Malonga, Martin Boyle and Franck Dja Djedje have accounted for only four goals in Hibs’ last seven matches, with Cummings and Dja Djedje hitting two apiece in that period.
Stubbs said: “You always want to see your strikers scoring goals, but just because we’re not scoring goals, it’s not necessarily down to the strikers.
“We score goals as a team. When we’re not scoring goals, we have to ask if we’re creating enough chances.”
Hibs head to Dumbarton for tonight’s Championship tie. (Edinburgh Evening News)
Stubbs plays down Wigan talk
Alan Stubbs played down the link with Wigan Athletic even before news emerged yesterday evening that Gary Caldwell had been enlisted as the new manager of the English Championship side.
He said: “There’s nothing I can do to stop speculation about myself or my players, but I’ve come here with a big opportunity to try and achieve something and my focus is on doing that.
“I have a job to do at Hibs and I fully intend to see it through.” (The Scotsman)
Vuckic keen for Rangers stay
Haris Vuckic, one of the five Newcastle United players on loan to Rangers, wants to join the Ibrox club at the end of the season.
The Slovenian 22-year-old has been the only one of the quintet to make an impact at Rangers. (Chronicle)
Rangers set to pay out to the SPFL
The SPFL could net more than a £1 million from Rangers thanks to a clause in their regulations over play-off gate money.
The governing body is entitled to 50 per-cent of all ticket revenue from the knockout matches - before costs - and it will bring in a sum beyond their wildest dreams.
Rangers are on course to shell out more than double the prize money of £342,000 they will receive if they finish second and go on to reach the Premiership play-off final.
Assuming Gers take on and beat Hibernian in the semi-final and then face either St Mirren, Motherwell or Ross County, two 50,000 Ibrox crowds will bring in well in excess of £2 million.
Hibs are also set to be stung by up to £200,000 if they are in the play off. (The Herald)
Jackie McNamara blanking out bonus furore
Dundee United gaffer Jackie McNamara has said he is trying to blank out the raging Tannadice civil war, including the storm caused by his bonus for the sale of two of the club’s players, in order to get some sleep.
McNamara has been at the centre of club intrigue for the last week after admitting he received a £500,000 bonus from the transfer of Stuart Armstrong, Gary Mackay-Steven, Andy Robertson and Ryan Gauld.
McNamara said: “I try not to look at things because if I did I probably wouldn’t get much sleep at night.
“If I looked at everything on social media and everything else what’s out there ... instead I just focus on my job and preparing the team for matches.
“We’re in a results business and that’s what we’re here to do. Nothing changes that despite what has been going on.” (Daily Record)
SCOTSMAN TABLET AND MOBILE APPS