Rumour Mill: Celtic eye Bournemouth ace | Caixinha tight-lipped over Walker | Maloney set for Hoops return?

0
Have your say

Celtic linked with Bournemouth attacker; Pedro Caixinha refuses to be drawn on Jamie Walker link and could Shaun Maloney be set for a shock Celtic return?

Celtic linked with move for Gradel

Max Gradel in action for Bournemouth - but  could the Ivorian be on his way to Celtic? Picture: Getty Images

Max Gradel in action for Bournemouth - but could the Ivorian be on his way to Celtic? Picture: Getty Images

Celtic have been linked with a move for AFC Bournemouth attacker Max Gradel.

The Ivorian looks set to leave Dean Court with a number of clubs including Sunderland and Toulouse said to be keeping tabs on the 29-year-old.

Gradel, who can count Leicester, Leeds and Saint-Etienne amongst his former clubs, made just 13 appearances for the Cherries last season and could move on this summer. (Various)

Caixinha ducks Walker questions

Pedro Caixinha has insisted he won’t ‘talk about players from other teams’ after being pressed for an update on the Jamie Walker saga.

The Ibrox chief is reportedly keen on the Hearts star but Rangers have had multiple bids turned down by the Tynecastle side,

Caixinha told the Herald: “We know what we want and we know the hard work and sacrifice that the chairman and the board are making. We know our targets; we still have a month until the end of the transfer window.” (Herald)

Maloney set for Hoops return?

Shaun Maloney could be set for a shock return to Celtic - as a coach with the side’s Under-20s.

Hibs and Aberdeen had been linked with the 34-year-old Scotland international but the offer of a coaching role could appeal to Maloney.

Tommy McIntyre has been assisted by former Donegal GAA coach Jim McGuinness, but after the Irishman took up a role in China, a space has opened up - and Maloney could return to Celtic for a third time in a coaching capacity. (Daily Mail)

Bigirimana eager to show Scottish football what he’s made of

Gael Bigirimana is keen to make his mark on Scottish football - after a nightmare loan spell with Rangers that saw him make no appearances after being reportedly struck down by a mystery illness.

The former Newcastle midfielder said: “I didn’t even train with the team, I had to do my own individual sessions at Murray Park. It didn’t work out for me and it was all a misunderstanding.

“I realise the club had to protect itself and it was out of my hands. These things are in the past and there’s no point in digging it all up. I’m here and I have got another opportunity to play in the Premiership and I’m looking forward to it.” (Scottish Sun)

Jags eye bold move for Coventry defender

Partick Thistle are hopeful of bringing Coventry City defender Jordan Turnbull to Firhill - despite the 22-year-old having two years left on his contract with the Sky Blues.

It is understood that the former Southampton youngster has a relegation clause in his contract allowing him to leave for free - and Alan Archibald is keen on bolstering his backline as he seeks a replacement for Liam Lindsay.

Turnbull does have other options, with both Walsall and Bradford reportedly keen on the youngster. (Scottish Sun)

Pedro looks for momentum

Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha says his side will take winning momentum into their Ladbrokes Premiership opener after rounding off their pre-season campaign with a 2-0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday.

Caixinha told RangersTV: “The last three games were fantastic for us to get our cohesion, to get our ideas, to add everything in and get our confidence and our belief.

“We knew since the very beginning we are not the worst team in the world and we are not the best one, but we need to keep this focus and this approach to the game.” (The Scotsman)

Murray rues missed chance at Hibs history

Simon Murray is delighted to have scored seven goals in his first four games for Hibs – but the striker admitted he’s kicking himself for the one that got away.

After scoring a hat-trick against Arbroath, he had the chance to write himself into the history books by becoming the first player to do so in consecutive matches in almost 50 years - the first since Joe McBride in 1968.

But the ex-Dundee United ace skied an effort after being put through by Martin Boyle, adding: “I was disappointed but to be fair I’d taken a bad knock on my shin five minutes before and I was struggling.

“I just lashed at it, which wasn’t the best. It would have been good to have become the first Hibs player to score back-to-back hat-tricks since the 1960s, but nevertheless I got two so I am happy.” (Evening News)

Betfred Cup draw sees Dundee derby rematch

Dundee and Dundee United will meet again in the Betfred Cup after being drawn against each other in the second round competition.

Celtic and Rangers have been handed home ties against Kilmarnock and Dunfermline Athletic respectively, while Ayr United were drawn away to Hibernian despite winning their group with four wins from four.

View all the ties here (The Scotsman)