Celtic’s Lukasz Zaluska back at work after attack

Celtic keeper Lukasz Zaluska covers part of his face as he returned to training yesterday. Picture: SNS
Celtic keeper Lukasz Zaluska covers part of his face as he returned to training yesterday. Picture: SNS
Share this article
Have your say

Celtic goalkeeper Lukasz Zaluska has returned to training after being attacked in the street.

The Pole took part in Celtic’s session at their Lennoxtown training ground yesterday after being injured in Glasgow in the early hours of Monday morning.

The 32-year-old former Dundee United player suffered facial injuries in the incident, which happened in Ashton Lane in the city’s west end.

Police said on Monday that they were investigating a report of an assault on a 32-year-old man but would not confirm reports that another Scottish Premiership player was involved in the incident.

Meanwhile, Astra Giurgiu’s preparations to face Celtic were thrown into further disarray last night when their charter to Scotland was delayed amid claims the flight had not been paid for. And when the Romanian party finally got off the ground, they left two of their biggest stars at the airport.

Astra were due to leave Bucharest at 4pm yesterday but their flight was grounded by local carrier Tarom, the company reportedly claiming they had not received proof of payment from the club. After frantic negotiations, Tarom allowed the plane to take off – over an hour behind schedule.

It is not the first financial issue to hit Astra’s Europa League campaign. It was suggested that several first-team players were considering strike action prior to their 5-1 defeat by Dinamo Zagreb in their first group match. There was further drama at Henri Coanda Airport as first-team players Kehinde Fatai and Seidu Yahaya were turned away from the flight to Scotland as they did not have the appropriate visas.

Astra officials are understood to have succeeded in an 11th hour bid to secure the necessary paperwork for the African duo and they will arrive in the UK later today.

“It is not a big problem,” insisted Nigerian striker Fatai, speaking at the airport after watching the rest of the squad depart. “We will get the visa and I hope to arrive in Glasgow on Wednesday during the day. I will be ready to face Celtic.”

Prior to yesterday’s day of drama, Astra were already labouring under a severe shortage of attacking options ahead of the must-win encounter at Celtic Park, while they are also in the midst of a miserable run of one win in eight matches.