League One roundup: Preston’s goal puts Ayr United top

Robbie Crawford. Picture: SNS
Robbie Crawford. Picture: SNS
Have your say

Ayr United moved to the top of League One with a 3-1 victory over Stranraer at Somerset Park.

Robbie Crawford, pictured, put Ayr in front with a terrific 20-yard strike which went in off the post. But Stranraer equalised after 29 minutes, Scott Robertson heading home Chris Aitken’s cross.

Ayr were back in front before half-time when Jamie Adams scored with a header. Jordan Preston then sealed the points eight minutes from time.

Dunfermline were held to a 0-0 draw by Cowdenbeath in the Fife derby at Central Park.

David Hopkirk had an early chance and Faissal El-Bakhtaoui also had opportunities as Dunfermline looked the more threatening throughout but, unusually for them this season, failed to find the net.

Stenhousemuir had the most remarkable win of the day. Coming back from three goals down to beat Peterhead 4-3 at Ochilview. Peterhead’s top scorer Rory McAllister did not take long to make his mark, opening the scoring after just 13 minutes.

His second came after 31 minutes to and he completed his hat-trick seven minutes from the break from the penalty spot.

Colin McMenamin pulled a goal back before half-time and Jason Scotland further reduced the deficit after 59 minutes with his first goal for the club. It was only seven minutes before he collected his second, the equaliser. He then set up Kieran Millar, who remarkably made it 4-3 for the Warriors. Peterhead’s misery was complete when Cammie Kerr was sent off in the final minute.

Airdrieonians and Alb-ion Rovers drew 1-1. Bryan Prunty gave Airdrie the lead with a header midway through the first half. Ally Love equalised four minutes from the break when he fired home the loose ball after a penalty from Paul Willis had been saved. Albion finished with ten men after John Gemmell was dismissed

Bottom-of-the-table Brechin City beat local rivals Forfar Athletic 1-0 at Station Park. Forfar were reduced to ten men in 64 minutes when Derek Young was sent off and, two minutes later, Andy Jackson put Brechin ahead. Forfar finished with just nine players when Thomas O’Brien was also shown a red card.