McKinnon makes a big impact as Alloa chalk up five in a row

Share this article
Have your say

Third Division leaders Alloa left it late before securing their fifth win in a row, beating Montrose 2-0 at Recreation Park, with loan signing Ross McKinnon becoming an instant hero.

Just when it looked like Paul Hartley’s side would drop two points, McKinnon, the nephew of former Scotland player Rab McKinnon, ventured forward with just three minutes remaining to power home a shot from 22 yards.

With the tension lifted, Stephen May went on an injury-time solo run before slipping the ball under Michael Andrews to make it two and provide a scoreline that had long looked unlikely.

A delighted Hartley said: “It was a win that had to be ground out, but we got there. It was a super strike from Ross and it came at a really good time. Stevie showed great composure to seal the win and now we have the chance to build on that against Peterhead on Tuesday.”

Stranraer bounced back from last weekend’s 4-0 defeat by Alloa with a 5-2 home success over Elgin City. Mark Nicolson gave the visitors an early lead, only for Michael Moore to level midway through the half. Craig Malcolm’s solo effort fired the Blues ahead, but Nicolson restored parity at half-time with a 20-yard shot. The second half belonged to the Stair Park men. Stephen Stirling scored with a penalty on 53 minutes and further goals by Scott Taggart and Moore secured the win.

Peterhead’s resurgence continued as they came from behind to defeat Queen’s Park 2-1 at Balmoor to make it four wins out of four for Jim McInally’s side. Sean Burns gave the Spiders a half-time lead when he finished off a lightning-quick counter attack by shooting past Paul Jarvie. However, Rory McAllister turned things around, heading a leveller just after the hour before netting a penalty after Ricky Little was judged to have fouled Martin Bavidge.

Annan’s promotion push stalled again as they were held 2-2 by visitors East Stirlingshire to see the early season pace-setters fall ten points behind Alloa. David Winters gave the Galabankies an early lead, but Scott Maxwell quickly levelled.

Alex Lurinsky’s tap-in had the bottom placed ’Shire in front before Jack Steele grabbed a point with a second half equaliser.

The Clyde and Berwick Rangers meeting was postponed.