Second Division: Alloa seize pole position with crushing Cliftonhill win

Have your say

FOUR sides are tied on four points at the top of the Second Division, with newly promoted Alloa Athletic sitting in pole position on goal difference after a 3-0 win at Albion Rovers.

Martin Grehan’s volley opened the scoring for the Wasps, with 19-year-old on-loan Dundee United striker Robert Thomson coming off the bench to secure the win with two goals in the last 11 minutes.

Alloa manager Paul Hartley said: “I am delighted with the result and the performance as Albion Rovers are well known for being a really strong team at home. Some of our play was excellent and I am really pleased to get that first win.”

Cliftonhill manager Todd Lumsden said: “We were poor and there are not many positives to take from the game. Our desire, effort and determination was not as good as Alloa’s and that is really disappointing.”

Arbroath sit second after a 4-2 win over Ayr at Gayfield, with Red Lichties forward Derek Holmes scoring at both ends after coming on as an early substitute for the injured Steven Doris. David Sinclair gave the Honest Men the lead with a free-kick midway through the first half, with Holmes levelling just before the break from close range.

Brain Kerr fired the hosts ahead with a shot from 25 yards out within two minutes of the restart before Holmes scored an own goal.

Darren Gribben spared his teammate’s blushes by edging Arbroath in front again with Danny Rennie adding a fourth for Paul Sheerin’s side.

Stenhousemuir striker John Gemmell hit a hat-trick as the Warriors reached the four-point mark by beating Brechin City 3-1. The summer signing from Albion Rovers opened the scoring with a first-half header and he then netted from two free-kicks in the last 20 minutes after Andy Jackson had equalised for the Glebe Park men.

East Fife and fourth-placed visitors Queen of the South both missed chances as they played out a goalless draw, with the Dumfries side’s player/manager Allan Johnston dismissed just before the end when he picked up a second yellow card for a foul on Darren Smith.

Forfar picked up their first points of the campaign by thrashing Stranraer 4-0, with new signings Gavin Swankie and Danny Denholm scoring before Mark Staunton headed past his own goalkeeper. Martyn Fotheringham completed the scoring with a 30-yard rocket shot.